Emerging Lurker

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Emerging Lurker

Postby OutbackBootlegger » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:15 pm

Hey team thanks for the add,

Glad to join officially....

By way of intro 4 or 5 years ago started brewing with kits before jumping to BIAB ag brews...

Start of covid bought chinese ebay stock pots still thingy out of boredom.... Shitful thing to use but the distilling bug hit!

The 35L urn with alcoengine pot still quickly followed and has been a lot of fun... been packed away with welcoming firstborn and moving house but shed is built now and time to start getting set up again.... In the past mostly done molasses/sugar rums and corn/sugar whiskees. Laid down a few AG washes, however final spirit runs has always included sugarhead washes as well. So keen to try a completely AG bourbon once rum stock is replenished...

Cheers guys, thanks again...

P.S... I still have the main pot/boiler from the ebay still, which actually sealed ok, wondering about using this as a thumper to squeeze a bit of extra capacity out of stripping runs and to stabilise/increase proof on my spirit runs? Still planning to double distill, not one and done, but just increase efficiency a little and also make distilling on grain possible... Any ideas?
Understand heat loss could be a problem with only 2400W to play with, but that just means more reflux? I have time to wait :whistle:
To combat heat loss thumper could be mounted directly above the boiler? 47mm "bubbler" feeding the thumper with existing boiler lid...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OutbackBootlegger

equipment: 35L digiboil urn 2400W, Alcoengine pot & reflux stills.

Re: Emerging Lurker

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:24 pm

G’Day OBL , sounds like the bug has well and truly hit.
Sit down , have a drink and enjoy the place.
Lots of friendly folk around here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: Emerging Lurker

Postby indenial » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:24 pm

Welcome OBL.
I have seen an inline thumper like that online. I like the general idea. It said it had a return line to the main boiler to prevent over-filling the thumper (and possibly equalise pressure when cooling down after a run???). I didn't understand how that would work. I love the idea of being able to dump some grain in there - or maybe some pineapple or something during a rum run??? I'd want a design that doesn't cause my boiler to implode if I have a brain fade! Anyway welcome and enjoy.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Return to Welcome Centre