Hi from Malabar

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Malabar

Postby Yarra45 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:26 pm

I am a complete newbie but have started with the TPW and already I am very happy with the results. My long term goal is to go down the grain path as I do love my bourbon.
This site is an absolute gold mine and I have soooo much to learn.
Cheers to all.
Yarra45

equipment: Just a newbie and have started with a Grainfather 30L Conical Fermenter, a Grainfather G30 Still matched with a T500 Reflux Condensor and Alembic Dome Top Pot Condensor.

Re: Hi from Malabar

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:59 pm

Welcome to the rabbit hole yarra :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate head over to the tried and true forum and start with the basics mate as this will give you a good insight to aging before you go down the AG route :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Plenty of good info on the forum mate and remember to ask questions as there's no such thing as a stupid question when it come to this craft when learning.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:20 pm

Oh my Jebus.
For once I completely agree with Bryan , can anybody see flying cows ? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Welcome Yarra , sit down , have a drink or several and start reading and asking away . Most of us don’t bite (unless asked)
Cheers mate
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:14 pm

The Stig wrote:Oh my Jebus. can anybody see flying cows ?

Now yarra one thing I didn't say learn about taking cuts mate which will stop others agreeing with what I say :laughing-rolling: The newbies corner is also a must read mate and most of all it's all about those cuts, cuts and cuts
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Yarra45 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone,

Doing a lot of reading and also experimenting (Still with the TPW) trying to get my process / techniques bullet proof.

Hoping 2024 is where I can dedicate some more time to this great hobby.

Cheers
Yarra45

equipment: Just a newbie and have started with a Grainfather 30L Conical Fermenter, a Grainfather G30 Still matched with a T500 Reflux Condensor and Alembic Dome Top Pot Condensor.

Postby Yarra45 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:38 am

Well, I feel a little like Alice after she went down the rabbit hole :-)

I have decided that I am not satisfied with my T500 set-up (Reflux and Alembic dome) and after a talk with Andrew will go down the 2" Boka path. Again, this site is fabulous and luckily for me the fact that I have to forget everything about running the T500 in order to run the Boka is easy, I don't know that much.

Like Carol, I will run my cooling from the pool. I have the high pressure fittings to modify my pool pump piping to give me a valve and garden hose fitting so that I can use that flat out and return it straight to the pool. Obviously I will need to flush it out after use with fresh water.

Just doing a bit more research before I put my order in (I don't want to forget anything) and it will be an early present (Xmas in July?) for me.

Still on the neutral spirit path, but want to get on the mash path as I do like my bourbon.

Cheers to all
Yarra45

Postby The Stig » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:41 am

Hi Yarra
F
Thanks for calling yesterday and feel free to call any time if you have any more questions.
I’m always up for a chat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby WoodyD40 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:38 pm

The Stig wrote:Hi Yarra
I’m always up for a chat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cheers

I’ll 2nd that :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling:

Andrew is full of very useful information, especially background sanity checks when setting up and using your new 5 star purchase. ^:)^
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still for Gin
65l Alcoengine Boiler with FSD 4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters

Kegland 2" Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil) - retired

Return to Welcome Centre