Hi all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi all

Postby Puk » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:57 pm

Hey,
Sorry i haven't said G'day yet, so hi from the Darling Downs in QLD.
I have spent a lot of hours on here on the search function, and tried to soak up as much knowledge as possible.
I used to do a bit of home brewing, so the fermenting part isn't too hard for me.

I bought a second hand airstill and have made the Nutri-Grain whisky (am onto my second generation) the Aussie Cream, and a rum from the tried and proven section.

I have a mate who is letting me borrow his T500 to make neutral, but am enjoying the challenge of trying to make something nice that carries over the characteristics of the ingredients, so am wanting to upgrade to a basic pot still, (I just like rum i guess) and slowly working on a keg boiler. (as i am sick of the amount of hours needed on an airstill)

I have a MacRum that I put down the wash for today, so i will go through the process with the airstill and decide if i make a good enough product to invest the amount needed to upgrade.
I am also keen to make a Macwhisky as it sounds nice.

anyway, lots of questions.
thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Re: Hi all

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:51 pm

Welcome Puk :handgestures-thumbupleft: down the rabbit hole you will go mate :laughing-rolling:

Whether you build your own or buy the 5 store shop has everything you need mate and if you want to build go have a look at the member builds to get a good understanding of what your up for. Making a pot still is pretty easy and a 2" tri clamp will fit straight onto a keg but filling and draining will be a pita. If you really want further down the hole 4" is the go for quicker runs then again a 50 litre milk can is just the bees nuts :laughing-rolling:

whether you go gas or electric will have a big impact on the boiler now as I use gas I just sit the keg on a 16" car rim and put my homemade BD burner under it. For this you will need a high pressure LPG regulator to go onto a 9kg LPG bottle and I do find I can get atleast 3 runs out a bottle. I 'll let the element users say what it costs to run their stills and 3 runs off one 9Kg bottle will hard to beat with the high prices of power :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Down the track a bubbler will be needed as their really are the best wack on a packed section for neutral or do a single run from the mash and get 90+% with full flavour that really is hard to beat.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Welcome Centre