Hello from WA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from WA

Postby mick_mack » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:41 pm

Hi All,
I've been doing TPW for a while now on my T500.

Soon will be trying out some more challenging recipes, perhaps starting with:
"Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka" & "Shady's Sugar Shine"

But I really want to try my hand at some nice rums and whiskeys.
I don't really like adding flavour essences, I can tell they're not fully integrated into the fluid if you know what I mean.

Any pointers to a solid beginner recipe would be appreciated.
Thanks, hope to interact with you all soon.
mick_mack

equipment: T500 Modified

Re: Hello from WA

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:58 am

Welcome to the asylum Mick
I found the bourbon whiskey knock off to be a great starter recipe. Fast to ferment as well, for me it always has been anyway.
Good luck
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:00 am

G’Day Mick,
If your after “authentic” rums and whiskeys your going to need a pot still.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:27 am

Welcome mick_mack.

The Tried & Proven section has a number of good washes for whiskies covering UK and American styles. The pinned recipes at the top of the list are the most popular. I'm not really a rum drinker but Mac's rum recipe is hard to beat for simplicity and makes a very nice rum.

As Stig said, you're going to need a pot still in order to carry across the flavour otherwise you'll just be making vodka.The 5 Star 2" pot works well on the T500 boiler and is built like a tank.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby mick_mack » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I have modified my T500 for independent water flow in reflux and condenser.
Do you think this will suffice to dabble with the aforementioned goals?

Cheers.
mick_mack

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:02 pm

To be blunt , no , it will however kill the T500 and make the plastic cap at the top leak for ever more .
If you don’t believe me , turn the T500 upside down and fill with water , I bet it’ll be leaking around the top cap
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby mick_mack » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies, I’m putting together a plan for an upgrade replacing the T500.
Will be active seeking feedback in the other forum areas for my design as it develops.
mick_mack

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:08 pm

Hi Mick_mack :handgestures-thumbupleft: Well welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now looking from your other post you are hunting for some copper :scared-eek: mmmm copper :scared-eek: now making a still out copper will get you hooked :laughing-rolling: where you find the addiction to the stuff just wants you to make more and more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have you ever heard the word "frustum" and if not go for search on this forum on just how to make one mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: where it is a 4-1/2" reducer then soft solder a 1/2" copper tube then you have a copper funnel :scared-eek: there is no end to working with copper :laughing-rolling:

Now if you want to use LPG instead of elements check out that "howto" I did on making your own BD burner out of copper and man do they work :handgestures-thumbupleft: 5 psi for the heatup then 3 psi for the run so for a 50 litre keg boiler atleast 3 runs out f a 8.5Kg LPG bottle :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A 3" holesaw is a purfect fit for 3" copper pipe so making your own bubbler will now be in the mix if your addicted.

OK am i going too fast for you well mate just go that first word i said and make yourself a funnel and remeber that word annealing is your best buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft: So make that frustum with a 4" to 1/2" then learn to soft solder with a lead free solder and there is your first copper funnel :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The rest should be history as your now truly well addicted :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Welcome Centre