Hi from QLD. Been reading - now posting.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from QLD. Been reading - now posting.

Postby Fermi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi to all the Aussies with such a great hobby!

I've been reading these forums and learning lots, and now starting to post. Been tempted a couple of times, but thought the best place to start is probably the welcome centre.
I've made my own beer and spirits for a few years now. The dodgy self-made still is due for an upgrade now. Thanks heaps to all those posting such useful info in these forums. Hope I can add something to the community here in time.

Started off with a 1-1/4" column packed with SS scrubbers + ceramic saddles and an air-cooled condenser, atop a decapitated keg. Did the job to some degree (good enough for friends to be happy), but slow, and I used some materials I've now found to be 'undesirable' (rubber gasket and PVC tube). Luckily only a little bit, but still added that little bit of off taste that I was trying to put my finger on. After reading some posts with "OMG(paraphrase)...get rid of the rubber and plastic" I thought it's time to re-do the rig for faster and better results.
So I picked up 6m of 40mm copper pipe for a good price and now designing my new column. I'm working with bits I have, and trying to work from first principles of distillation and a few (well, many) tips from the forums to come up with my design. Since I like tinkering and designing various things, I'm thinking of a multi-column + bubbler plate + botanicals head combined, so I can tinker and experiment with different methods from neutral to rum, whisky and gin. Maybe I'm crazy :teasing-tease: but hopefully it will work out well :dance: . I might posts my ideas and design (mocked up in SketchUp) for feedback and constructive criticism.

Other than that: I like making all sorts of stuff (drinks and other); Will be new to trying my hand at brazing; and will be looking for good excuses to use some cool smilies :-?? :teasing-newbie:
Fermi

Re: Hi from QLD. Been reading - now posting.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi Fermi,
welcome to the forum mate, nothin wrong with Sketch up mate, very simple to use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Fermi,and welcome to our little slice of heaven :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: This place is always good for a laugh and there is a wealth of knowledge to be obtained :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 pm

G'day fermi
welcome to here, that still you are thinking up sounds like a doosee and interesting too
looking forward to pic's of it :D
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Fermi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi guys.
Thanks for the replies.
I thought I'd get an email notification or something when I had replies to my post - but nothing. So I didn't know I got replies until I happened to look now.
I've been busy reading tips here on soldering copper and SS. I've had no luck with SS :angry-banghead: , but copper is going well (for a newbie :handgestures-thumbupleft: ). Copper is such a great material.

I've been working on the new still.
I've only got the boiler and lyne arm and air-cooled condensers done so far. So it's working as a pot still now (couldn't wait to get it all done - had some rum to make... you know how it goes).

Here's the design idea for the column(s).
4 column bubbler 2012.jpg

The idea is 4 x 1,1/2" (38mm) columns from the boiler up to the head, with optional bubbler caps on top of each column which come up into a single bubble plate/tray. An optional botanicals net/sieve will sit above the bubblers, and then a 'hat' on top of the head which the lyne arm (38mm copper) comes off from.

So if all goes to plan, I should be able to run it as;
1) a simple column still with packing inside each pipe and no bubble caps.
2) a hybrid column/plate still with the bubble caps on. Not sure if it will be better with packing in the column or not. Maybe not for whiskey's? And maybe starting with some flavored liquid in the bubble tray. Any suggestion here?
3) a vapor infuser with the sieve in.(What is this sieve/net thing actually called in still terms?) Inspired by the Carterhead still for gin.
4) a semi-pot still with all but one or two columns blocked off and no packing. Hopefully pushing the vapor up one pipe fast enough will minimize reflux and keep the flavour for rum and whisky.

That's all if my slightly whacky idea actually works to some degree. I hadn't seen any other designs like this.
I guess I came up with it because of available materials and wanting to do a build on a low budget but also have options with the one bit of kit. As I mentioned, I got the 38mm pipe for a good price, and I'm re-purposing some bits from the last still (very simple single-column, too small) and from a dead stainless steel urn and a couple of stainless mixing bowls. This is on top of a SS keg boiler with the whole top cut off, fired by gas burner. Heat in => speed. No vapor or liquid management.
I may get some pics soon.

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fermi

Return to Welcome Centre