gday gday

Say Hi and introduce yourself

gday gday

Postby siteoffice_shine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

gday all

myself and a mate bought an airstill simply to make drinkable at best piss and also
for something to do while we sit around and drink in the shed also known as the "site office"

have been doing some lurking and there seems to e alot of experience here however i do notice the
outcasting of air stills,

please be kind, we are mere mortals that work long weeks and just need some form of stress relief and a
self sufficient way of getting pissed.

we ran our first run about a fortnight ago with what we classed as mild success being our first run,
we ended up with approx 5.5l of 57% from a 21l wash.
of which we were only taking 50ml off the start (foreshot/heads?) of each 4l run then running to 650ml then filtering,
cheap enough, easy and drinkable.

i have now got 2 fermenter one of which i will be trying a TPW and comparing to the turbo wash we have been doing

question,
will double distilling with an air still make much if any difference to the quality of spirits?

we may in the future build a still and look at different paths
but for now we just want to keep it simple and ease into it all the while having a half reasonable drop,

cheers
siteoffice_shine

equipment: some form of electrical wizardry

gday gday

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:42 pm

G'day mate, there are plenty of guys using air stills on here with great success.

And yes double distilling will definitely improve as will making cuts. Theres a thread here about easy cuts try doing a search otherwise someone may post the link (I don't know how through my phone)

Welcome as well mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: gday gday

Postby R-sole » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Jeez, airstills have their own forum here mate.

Making cuts and double distilling will be the best two things you will find to improve your spirits.

Aim much higher than drinkable, better than storebought is easy to acheive. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Twisted » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Gday
I reckon this hobby is gona be addictive hey
Twisted

equipment: My penis is inverted and I am a childish little girl

Postby googe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Welcome mate, theres so much info here it hurts ya brain, good luck. So true twisted, im only new to this to and i cant stop thinking about it haha.
googe

Postby zwagerman9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Its more than possible to use the airstill to make a decent drink. Its said a million times, its a pot still!
Steer well and truly clear of Turbos, and put down some TPW. Double distilled and using essences or as I use the SS Whiskey Profile kit makes it more than drinkable. And within that first mouthful that sweet/off/tang of the "triple distilled" you will notice the quality and price difference. With good cuts and triple distilled TPW you will have a nice bottle of neutral to work with. The nice thing about the airstill is once you strip your spirits to rerun - quanitities for a still charge is quicker, Easier to get 4 litres of low wines than 20 litres. :P
Ive written up some jargon on how I ran the airstill in the airstill threads.

Dont claim to know it all and I'm still new here.

But enjoy.

Cheers

Rae
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby siteoffice_shine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:52 pm

yeah cheers,
am putting a TPW on tonight :handgestures-thumbupleft:

using bakers yeast (80grams) as that all i can get in town and im not taking a half hr drive to get one bag of yeast when
im in perth thurs fri and will be going to get some equip and look at other alternative shelf bought stuff.

was planning on getting a triple distilled production pack to compare to the TPW

am planning now a temp control unit and a relativly tidy what i like to call *shine shed* with a sleepout ive got at home where hopedully
no1 or no animal can tamper with my stuff.

my dogs for some reason like my fermenters,
siteoffice_shine

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

G'day Mate and Welcome !!!

:-D

This is a link to the Kiwistiller guide for cuts and fractions.

It's well worded. When anyone says make good cuts and you will make a better product this is what they are talking about.

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874&p=9951&hilit=kiwistiller#p9951

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby siteoffice_shine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:22 pm

by grumpthehermit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

G'day Mate and Welcome !!!

:-D

This is a link to the Kiwistiller guide for cuts and fractions.

It's well worded. When anyone says make good cuts and you will make a better product this is what they are talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874&p=9951&hilit=kiwistiller#p9951

Cheers
GTH

cheers,
cleers it up a bit, i think :?
siteoffice_shine

Postby JayD » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, good luck with still'n adventures...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Hello to you Mr Shine (and friend)
welcome to the most Airstill friendly distilling forum in Australia (maybe :think: )...

Mate I have airstilled about a year and a half of washes ( 8-} ) and its all about practice, quality product over quantity and patience.
I can absolutely recommend non turbo washes and double distillation.
BTW, I also completely understand that you need to try different things and want to drink it asap as its all new etc :laughing-rolling: Get that out of your system them get into recommended recipes/cuts/maturation etc as found all over this forum and the Airstill 'wont matter'.

Have fun too :handgestures-thumbupleft: it WILL be good.
Frank

Postby Panda » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Had a quick convo with siteoffice in chat earlier. He is a top bloke.

Will have a hard time fitting in with you pack off assholes :))
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Return to Welcome Centre