Hi all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi all

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi all lovin the info on this site and can't wait to dive in!

I have never distilled before nor brewed beer, both interest me but the still more so, I think cos my old mans home brew was never too flash!

I like vodka, gin, bourbon and scotch mostly and am looking forward to enjoying a new hobby.

I am still trying to get my head around the vast array of different styles and of course the lingo!!

I'm in wa so hit me up if u want to show me ur still!

Cheers guys!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Re: Hi all

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi Urrazeb,
welcome to the forum mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby punchy21 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:40 pm

G'day Urrazeb, welcome... there's plenty to learn and plenty to read up on so you've come to the right place... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby bt1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Welcome bloke,

There's plenty of help there's no such thing as a unanswered question...get stuck ask!

drink styles could lead to choice of 2 still types. Might pay to consider what's the key drink and we can advise based on that.

Whiskies, Bourbons, gins tend to a pot still design while Vodka is better suited to a reflux type or plate or boka etc.

have a read get comfortable, think about build vs. buy, bounce your ideas around we'll short cut you to what you prefer.

Enioy its a good time

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Frank » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Hello Mr U
welcome to the forum that the Sandgropers are taking over (apparently :shock: ). Good call on the spirits...relatively speaking, theres buggerall diff re washes/stills etc needed for bourbon vs whisky BTW, so maybe first point of reference???
Frank

Postby googe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:19 am

Welcome mate, good luck in your adventures. So much to learn here your brain will hurt!!.
googe

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 am

Big welcome. The hobby seems to have a steep but short duration learning curve. Suspect you be dispensing advice like an exspurt before you know it. Dont think a person could find many other past times in which the participants are so helpful to share what they know..save a few steps etc. It must be the camaraderie which sometimes accompanies the consumption of the devil's jurine..right before the fight breaks out.. :laughing-rolling:
bigwheel

equipment: 3" Brewhaus SS combo reflux/pot still..15 gallon milk bucket boiler. Copper mesh packing.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks fellas, this is a great site and my head hurts from flooding information. Every time I close a tab i think of something else to look up!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Fermi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 am

Yep, your head may hurt for a little while with the steep learning curve, but you'll be rewarded in the end.

I've found the learning curve can be short if you just want to get stuck in and get something made. But then there's a lot more to potentially know if you want to dig deeper into the science-type aspects.

The terminology can be a killer when you don't know what all the acronyms mean. :? It took me some dedicated searching to find out what VM and LM were, and eventually figured out I was using CM.
I think we should get a good glossary section going.
Fermi

Postby stilly_bugger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41 am

Fermi wrote:I think we should get a good glossary section going.

Here you go.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Fermi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 am

:icon-eek: I'll open my eyes next time. How did I not find that???
Thanks.
Fermi

Return to Welcome Centre