Hello

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:10 am

Hello all,

I am new here and have no gear as yet, I am a all grain home brewer so I guess I got that part sorted if I want to go down that road :P

I am feeling lazy this morning as I am brewing ATM so be in and out browsing the forum today, But where is some good threads to look over for still ideas and recipe ideas, I mainly drink rum so there would be a start, not sure what gear would be best for that.

Cheers,
Kelby
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Re: Hello

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 am

Welcome !!!

There is a post called Rum in the tried and proven recipe section, it seems to stay right near the top of the page as it's very popular.

Suggest reading that from start to finish.

Your probably looking for a pot still, ( or if your really keen a plated still / bubbler ) you can make one if your that way inclined or one of the friendly guys on here can make you one and also have a look at the link for the CO.OP shop on the top right hand side of the home page.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:28 am

Yeah cheers reading the rum thread seems the place to start. looks like I got a bit of reading ahead for still and the different runs and stuff they talk about lol
kelbygreen

Postby vooharmy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 am

hi and welcome!
I'm still wading through all the info myself, it's all very fascinating stuff. My Wife will probably kill me once she figures out how much I have/ will of spent in the last few days! I'm pretty confident I got a good pot still setup and if all goes well I might look at a bubbler!

Good bunch of people here, your in good hands.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
vooharmy

equipment: 2" swan pot still
3" vm\lm hybrid
50l keg boiler \w dual element
panda control box
current project - 5 plate 4" bubbler

Hello

Postby Lupus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:18 am

Welcome kelbygreen!
I am in the same position as you, totally new to the hobby and devoid of hardware currently.

The forum members have been very welcoming and helpful. The other threads of use when you are set up with a build and rum recipe is the thread on cuts.

As for getting in trouble with the other half, cash is not the issue. My play money. Space is. When I do finally get set up, I am going to have to stash the equipment and fermenters somewhere and that is and always has been an issue in our household. Specially with two kids
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Kelbygreen,
welcome to the forum, feel free to ask lotsa Q's and we'll be more than happy to answer them ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:20 am

Hi KG and welcome to the forum
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:27 am

thanks all.

Can I use dextrose to make wash? I have 20kg left over from when I was doing extract and dont using it in my AG beers so would like to use it up some how.
kelbygreen

Postby crow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 am

yep sure can, It will do the same job as inverted sugar. In other words the same job as sugar but slightly faster ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

ok cool thanks, I see there is a tomato wash. what do you make out of this? Or is it just a neutral one you add essence or something to?
kelbygreen

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Yeah mate the tomato paste wash (TPW) is for making nuetrel. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre