new diistiler

Say Hi and introduce yourself

new diistiler

Postby hijinks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

evening Ladies and Gents

I am the owner of a SS Nixon Stone Reflux offset head still and I could write at great lenght how I fabricated this beautifully built still . Welding to die for. so pretty it could feature in a Playboy Centrefold .... BUT ...actually I bought it at a local recycle centre for $10 . Whoever had it built had all the 'right 'equipmernt at hand. My mate Aussiedownunder01 has allowed me to boil water in it , cook some vinegar in it and finally distill some wine in it from which I exdtracted some spirrit at 73%. I have done all the hard work though and have manufactured a alluminium plate on which to stand my beer while I'm watching the temperature to rise . So much to learn and am looking forward to monitoring this forum to create some special recipies
regards
alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hijinks

equipment: Nixon Stone Reflux SS Offset Head

Re: new diistiler

Postby crow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Alex welcome to the forum mate nice looking still, jeez 10 bucks cost me $9.90 for my hungry jacks meal today :teasing-tease:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Goldie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Welcome mate that is a great pick up for $10!

Also sweet work bench, plenty of cool toys.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby crow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm

the only thing I might like to add is about that plastic output hose . high percentage ethanol can leach substances out of some plastics and that clear hose looks like one of the bad ones for it. can I suggest ya ditch it and go for a copper tube there, hate to see ya end up getting crook from it
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Good to have ya here Alex :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 am

Welcome Alex $10.00 jees wish i would have seen it :o ;-)
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby mullamulla » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 am

You lucky bastard! :handgestures-thumbupleft: but I agree with Crow about the PVC tubing on the output, I'd get that swapped out lickety split :naughty:

Welcome aboard Alex
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby hijinks » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys
My big mate Aussiedownunder01 is gonna help me out and the clear hoses will be changed over to SS tube
hijinks

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm

No problem after we teach him to distill next job is get his beer to have bubbles :))
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:No problem after we teach him to distill next job is get his beer to have bubbles :))

If he's gona distill it it don't need no bubbles :teasing-tease:
@ hijinks that still looks to be almost all ss, can I recommend that you go with a copper line. Would be better to have some copper in the vapor path but at the outlet line would be better than nothing, the thing is you might have noticed that most stills are either made of copper or have copper components in them. The reason for this is that fermentation creates sulfides (think rotten egg gas) and copper is fantastic at extracting . If you have very little to no copper in the still well your hooch is going to need some serious airing, unless of cause you have thing for the taste and smell of rotten eggs :laughing-rolling:
crow

Postby hijinks » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks Croweater .. Got a double helix copper condensor ,ss scrubbers and plans to put some copper in the tower. Old man I know locally gives a bit of advice but I'm better off talking to you guys with actual experience in distilling quality product ! :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:
hijinks

Return to Welcome Centre