G'day from the Sunny Northern Rivers

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from the Sunny Northern Rivers

Postby Merlot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Folks
I bought my Still spirits air still about 6 months ago and did the turbo thing following their guidelines including a lot of carbon filtering. I did this twice and thought I was brilliant... and then I found the Home Distiller forum and realised evrything I was doing could done better and more cheaply. I started reading and reading and reading as recommended by all on that forum and now I have a much better grasp on what to do.

Since then I have been making birdwatchers sugar wash (on this forum known as TPW) and running six stripping runs, tossing first 30mls into the metho bottle and storing the low wines on bicarb and a bit of salt leading to two spirit runs and taking cuts- 50 ml fores into the metho bottle, next 200 as heads, next 600 as hearts about another 200 as tails and then run it down to about 20 abv for the feints jug. From a 25L washI end up withabout 2 litres of hearts @40abv and I usually put the heads and tails into liqueurs like espresso infused and Punkins muck (thanks 5Star... I see you are a member here too).

Only problem is that the tpw takes about two weeks to run dry and I run out of sauce before the next wash is ready. So I recently bought some fishing buckets from Kmart at $10ea and put down a Death wish wheatgerm in addition to my tpw. The DWWG did not go through the expolsive start as I expected and is bubbling away steadily and has been for about 5 days now. I think it might be because when I converted to metric in my head I thought it would be about 200g of wg then I realised after reading the 26 pages or so on the hd site that it should have been about twice that. It smells nice so I'm still hoping for something good.

Anyway this place seems much more relaxed than home distiller... not as scary to post on... even have a forum devoted to the air still :). I'm thinking it will be much easier to find Aussie specific info here. I now realise that a better still will greatly improve my product and Im looking to upgrade to a pot. I have a 25L Ss drum for a start.

Cheers
Merlot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Merlot

equipment: Still spirits air still....
2 in McStill pot on a 25L SS boiler

Re: G'day from the Sunny Northern Rivers

Postby googe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 am

Welcome mate, sounds like you have yourself sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft: your right about this place, much better and way more relaxed :D .
googe

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am

Hi ya merot and yes we have the metric system up and running here :laughing-rolling: Anyway welcome to to forum bud and good luck with your pot still build there are some great designs here to give you some ideas and don't be reluctant to join in ya won't get told "ya new shut the fuck up and read read read" here :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Merlot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks fellas... I feel welcomed.
Merlot

Postby mullamulla » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 am

Welcome Merlot, good first post :handgestures-thumbupleft: nothing stopping you from getting bigger/more fermenters if your running out, or umm... drink less... pfffft :teasing-tease:
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 am

welcome to the next stage of your hobby merlot

the half wheatgerm may be pretty light in flavour but will be fine. (just chuck 1 whole bag in for a 25L wash)

good luck with your upgrade - you building or buying?
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Merlot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm

G'day Nbs
I just posted in the pot still forum that I ordered a diy kit from the co op shop... Please take a look at my post as I have a few questions... I'm excited :D
Cheers
Merlot

Return to Welcome Centre