Rhymes with Alco

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Rhymes with Alco

Postby Boomgate » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am

Hi, I have been thinking about having a still for as long as I remember.... well, at least 23 years, which is roughly when I first started drinking... Last night I said to my wife that I should start a new hobby, and she said "What do you want to do?, just do something you are passionate about" and I realised that now is my time to get into this...

So basically all of the research I have done shows me that I am in the right place in the world to do this, In Auckland (my former home town) you were very limited in what you could legally have, but as far as I can tell I am can make as much as I want in melbourne but I am not allowed to sell it. Correct me if I am wrong... Not that I am intending to make twelve million litres, but I would like to make it in batches..

My ultimate aim is to make some great single malt or blended scotches... But I would also like to invent something new a drink that will blow peoples minds..

I dont have any experience in distilling at all, but I have been doing a lot of cooking, mostly of little special things.... I have made some awesome Pate, Chilli & Capsicum Jelly, Capsicum sauces, I make some mean dipps .... You know, drinking related stuff.... I would make cheese if it didnt look like so much work too :)
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Rhymes with Alco

Postby googe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 am

Its not legal unfortunatly mate :cry: . Thats why its on the low down ha. Sounds like some yummy stuff you make :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 am

googe wrote:Its not legal unfortunatly mate :cry: . Thats why its on the low down ha. Sounds like some yummy stuff you make :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Tis in NZ :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 am

McStill wrote:
googe wrote:Its not legal unfortunatly mate :cry: . Thats why its on the low down ha. Sounds like some yummy stuff you make :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Tis in NZ :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep, will have a massive setup wheni move there next year :))
googe

Rhymes with Alco

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am

It is legal if you get your still registered and pay excise on what you make but it will turn very expensive to produce anything.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Boomgate » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am

Good to know about the legalities... Im not planning on setting up a fully fledged brewery so thats fine by me... if my water purifier happens to contain some trace elements of other perfectly legal things... like sugar and yeast.... well, I might just have to purify them..
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Linno » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Boomgate wrote:Good to know about the legalities... Im not planning on setting up a fully fledged brewery so thats fine by me... if my water purifier happens to contain some trace elements of other perfectly legal things... like sugar and yeast.... well, I might just have to purify them..

:))

my thoughts exactly, welcome to the forum boomgate. look forward to reading some of your experiments
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Welcome to the forum mate, great to have you here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 pm

:laughing-rolling: yep have some weird intoxificating stuff come out my water purifier , seems there some bad stuff in water, like water for example . Welcome to the forum bud
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby dillsandwitch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 pm

yeah gotta watch that water. nasty stuff that. i hear 100% of people who drink water die :o

welcome to the forum mate :D
dillsandwitch

equipment: T-500 :D

Return to Welcome Centre