Hi from another new guy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from another new guy

Postby Bnr032 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi,
Just thought i would finally say gday, as ive been reading the forums for a month or so now, just never got around to posting any questions (made myself familier with the search function)..Im 28, From Close to the Gold coast.

About 2 months ago a close mate showed me his T500 and we drank some of his whiskey he made, i thought surely if he can do it, i could do it, and i knew he did the basics (doesnt even do cuts) i was confident i could improve on his batch.. sure i know alot say get a builder to make you a still, or make one yourself.. to be honest i wanted something i could have and get going soon. So i looked into it and purchased a Ultra Pure distilling unit...
I have run a couple of batches through it already, and the first one didnt turn out great. but some of it was drinkable...
I aim to make whiskeys, and all different liquors and spirits (to keep wife happy).

im slowly experimenting, but i work away mid week so only have weekends to do things... I will be in the market for an extension you guys rave about for these stills shortly...

I hope to experiment further with flavourings (rather then using HBS essences) but i must say, i think people are trying to replicate exact spirits too much, rather then accepting a slightly different flavour that could be just as acceptable to drink...
Horses for Courses i guess...

Hope to one day offer something in return to this forum that has already given me heaps of info.

Thanks,
Michael
Bnr032

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

Hi from another new guy

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Welcome mate, sounds like your on the right track
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Hi from another new guy

Postby crow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 pm

welcome here Bnr yeah not a bad still to start with got one myself ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Michael, welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Bnr032 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 am

croweater wrote:welcome here Bnr yeah not a bad still to start with got one myself ;-)

That was pretty much why i went that way, Everyone said as far as HBS gear, they are the better ones. and of all the things i have read, plus i have a little knowledge of the Poly industry, its best to keep plastics away from heat/alcohol for extended periods.

Dont get me wrong, this still is giving me constant 92% (after temp adj.) alcohol. but.. if it can be improved for not alot of effort (ie just extending and packing) i dont know why people are not offering it as a retail ad on(co op store im hinting at you).

Michael
Bnr032

Postby JayD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 am

Welcome mate, good to see another QLDer :). Good luck with your new adventures :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Hi from another new guy

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Michael!! Welcome!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 am

Bnr032 wrote: but i must say, i think people are trying to replicate exact spirits too much, rather then accepting a slightly different flavour that could be just as acceptable to drink...
Horses for Courses i guess...

Welcome Bnr032
Sounds like a good start.

For my horse, the course is that i prefer to make my gear with as much natural ingredients as possible - making a better product than HBS essences etc - not necessarily to replicate any exact flavour

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Mick,welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft: Youre on the right track mate,it's all a matter of practice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Hi from another new guy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Welcome, I've got the same still. I'm all about real ingredients instead of essence. The only essence I still buy occasionally is blue sapphire gin.

I'd rather steep fresh fruit or brew up some espresso or chuck some sultanas & a stick of cinnamon in some apple juice than try and make something that tastes vaguely like midori or butterscotch schnapps.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Bnr032 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 pm

After further reading today (slow day at work)...
I think i will give a TPW wash a try this weekend. As im home on weekends only by my calculations, I could leave it for 2 weeks, and hopefully it would be all cleared by the fortnight to run...

Now just to find time to buy ingredients...
Bnr032

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:29 pm

G'day Bnr and Welcome !!!

I can't rave enough about the extension on mine.

I used to see 79.1 on the thermo at the start and slowly watch it creep to 79.6

Now I see 78.5 or so and it stays very steady until the tails kick in.

Much nicer neutral and higher ABV, I see 95% now and not 93. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mc still made mine. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Bnr032 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:55 pm

the run i just did, it was exactly that 79.1 °c for about 4.3l, then very slowly rose but i shut it off when i hit 4.5 L i think it was at 79.5°.
it was an alcotec 48 wash... still smelled pretty clear. but after temp adj it is still around the 93% for the cuts on average... smells good, but i think i can go better...

Now for Mcstill to be not so busy haha
Bnr032

Postby Goldie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 am

Bnr032 wrote:
Now for Mcstill to be not so busy haha

Mac will make time for you, just PM him with what you want 8-) 8-)
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Bnr032 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:43 am

ive done that haha, as i said, just waiting for him to not be so busy to get a chance to reply etc.
Bnr032

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 am

Sorry mate :oops:

Please check your PM ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Welcome Centre