Another QLDr

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another QLDr

Postby Jonno » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey all,

25, Married, No kids - Now that the pleasantries are outta the way

Been reading stilling forums and info for a few months ago. Get sick of the reading sometimes and just let it go to the back of the mind, always get excited about starting to do my own drinks but then i think i over research things sometimes i talk myself out of it.

The way out of it this time around is i've told myself i'm not going to 'buy' anymore of the holy stuff. Which is forcing my hand at home brewing!!

Anyway, I'm looking at picking up a few things tomorrow and giving a shot at putting together a 1.5" pot still. Hopefully i can get the pieces for a 2" pot still instead.

Nice to finally introduce myself and hopefully you'll are a friendly bunch!
Jonno

Another QLDr

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Welcome mate, would definitely try to go for the 2" if you can otherwise you may have some very long days running your still
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Another QLDr

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Welcome Jonno :handgestures-thumbupleft: which part of the great state you in? We are a friendly bunch here,any questions you have mate just fire away,you won't get burnt for asking :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers
CC
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

+1 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Another QLDr

Postby Lupus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Greetings! Welcome to another Qlder!
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby crow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey hi jonno 2" is as small as I'd go mate Welcome the the forum and get into it as fast as ya can before ya talk yourself out of it again. No seriously once you start and follow some of these methods here you'll never look back :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 pm

welcome,

Yeah as said 2" prob the min. From what I read a 2" will be twice as fast as a 1.5" and a 3" will be twice as fast as a 2" not sure how true that is but gives you a idea why its better.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Jonno » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:33 pm

I've been searching work for the copper, going into work tomorrow to do some 'work'.

Found a fair bit of scrap 2" today and hopefully its still there! Its the only 2" on site apparently. My section of the workshop uses max size is 1 1/2" and anything smaller is around the place.

Only down side is that all the copper is the thick walled gear so hopefully that won't make it harder to solder etc. I'm actually hoping this time around to get this all done and hopefully have a brew ready for the xmas break!! As said, i forced my hand abit with telling myself and the wife that i won't be buying anymore grog!
Jonno

Postby JayD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Welcome bud, enjoy the forum as it has much to offer in knowledge from like minded people... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Gday Jonno,
great to have you here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Welcome mate, dont be scared, its easy as piss after 300 hours of reading haha joke. Its great here mate, you'll be up and running in no time. I get the thick wall stuff from work too, solders easy :handgestures-thumbupleft: , Its not copper nickle though is it?.
googe

Postby Goldie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:40 am

:text-welcomeconfetti: howdy mate, what drinks you looking to make?

How thick is the copper? Refrigeration pipe? That's what I used in my pot still and I didn't have any problems soldering it.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Jonno » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:27 am

Im told its copper, how to tell if its copper nickel? Its used as airlines
Jonno

Postby googe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 am

Its pailer looking, when its polished it almost looks like stainless. Its got a sort of very light brown look to it. Thats the only way i can tell it apart.
googe

Return to Welcome Centre