G'day and Federal Member chat

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day and Federal Member chat

Postby redcane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am

G'day,

I've discovered this forum recently (after much reading on homedistiller.org), and thought I'd introduce myself.

I've been doing a lot of beer brewing, and was looking for a new adventure, so my thoughts turned to winemaking (too difficult and too long to get results and I don't drink that much wine) and then spirits. Having not been to a bottle-o since I started brewing, my stocks of commercial spirit have started to dwindle, so it seemed like further investigation was worthwhile. I already had some idea that there were legal restrictions, but I've now read a few forum threads on the legislation covering spirit production so I'm left in no doubt.

I'd already booked an appointment to discuss other issues with my Federal Member, so I figured I'd mention legalising hobby distilling while I was there. He seemed quite receptive, and has a staff person who likes a drop of whiskey so he was interested as well. He was happy to at least look into the current legal environment. Not sure if anything will come of it without a lot more pushing on the issue, but at least it doesn't seem hopeless.

I was quite surprised how accessible my federal member was (got an appointment within 24 hours), so I'd suggest for everyone to call up their federal members office and book an appointment!

Apart from that I look forward to learning a lot more from this message board!
redcane

equipment: One keg boiler, 2" pot still, and an almost complete VM reflux still head.

Re: G'day and Federal Member chat

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Redcane, good to have you here mate.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: G'day and Federal Member chat

Postby Linno » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 am

Gday Redcane

Welcome to the forum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001