Beginner DIY Still

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Beginner DIY Still

Postby smoothas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 pm

I've done 6x23L batches of beer and satisfied with the result. I've decided to have a shot at distillation. Looking for a challenge I've decided to try and make my own still. Starting with a simple pot still and upgrade to a reflex and maybe a fractioning still (hell why not?). I've been using homedistiller.org as a guide and trying to patch holes in knowledge with forums such as this. I've started fermenting my mash and looking at construction of a pot still. I would appreciate any advice.

My mash: 3kg of sugar dissolved in a total of 23L of water. For nutrients I added 3 tablespoons of baker's yeast to boiling water and left it for 15mins to kill it. Added to the fermenter and let it all cool overnight. Things seemed to have settled when I added SN9 yeast Sunday morning and by afternoon it was bubbling. Today it is only bubbling slowly relative to my other brews so I am a little concerned. I've heard 100g/50L of tomato puree might help but I was going to leave it as a last resort.

My still: Found an old 15L pot with a metal lid (33cm diameter, 16cm high, 18cm including lid). Bought an elbow (brass) and 10m of 12mm copper pipe. The plan is to drill a hole in the lid and use a nut to fix the corner piece to the top. Tighten the copper coil to fit in the bucket and cut a hole in the bottom. I am concerned about the seal between the pot's lid and the pot itself. I'll give this a shot but a larger / better pot might be required. This is quite important given I will be using a gas stove... might need to rethink this...

When building the reflux column I need to keep in mind the vertical height. There is 55cm space between the top of the stove and the extractor hood leaving 37cm for the column itself.

Let me know what you think!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smoothas

equipment: Working on it...

Re: Beginner DIY Still

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi Smoothas, great to have you here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
your on the right track with your wash, you could bump up the sugar to 5Kg no worries.
With the pot, Ummm!....... x_x Does it have to be stove top? have a look thru the potstill and reflux threads and Co-op for ideas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Welcome Centre