name said it all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

name said it all

Postby lurker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

I don't post much but I am here often :silent: . I thought I would post up and say hi. :wave:
I am a fairly new distiller. I live in the US of A and I am into AG whiskey and I dabble in rum a tad. I have been brewing beer for quite a while and jumped into the AG whiskey with both feet! I can see where doing the sugar is easy but damn! the results from AG is crazy better! IMHO....The bennies of having the right set up is amazing for doing AG. I use my AG beer brewery, with slight mods to do AG whiskey runs and have really liked the results. I like my beer and love my whiskey!

Anyway Cheers to you all and thanks for a great place to hang out.

Lurker
lurker

equipment: stripper

Re: name said it all

Postby poompy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Welcome :grin:
What's your normal grain bill and process? For the whisky

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Gday Lurker,
welcome mate, as part of your signing up package, You get 1 free question :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

name said it all

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 am

Welcome lurker! What still ya running? Don't be shy to post a piccy or two!!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby crow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 am

Welcome here and +1 on the picture
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 am

Welcome bloke,

Nice to see a post from a reader.
This AG is my next focus, would greatly appreciate a run through on processes even at bullet point level.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby poompy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:20 am

bt1 wrote:Welcome bloke,

Nice to see a post from a reader.
This AG is my next focus, would greatly appreciate a run through on processes even at bullet point level.

cheers
bt1

Yep AG whisky is what im looking into as well. I have been making AG beer for years now so got the gear.
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

name said it all

Postby Lupus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 am

Welcome! I will chime in about seeing and discussing your AG setup. Coming from a non brewing or stilling background, AG is totally foreign. Sugar washes are a good entry for me, but the more I read, the more the allure of AG!
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby Goldie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

poompy wrote:What's your normal grain bill and process? For the whisky

:text-+1:

Howdy and welcome to Aussie.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby lurker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Well thanks for all the welcomes guys! I use a simple copper 2" pot with a 48" condenser simple tube in design nothing fancy. That sits on a 1/2 bbl keg

As for my AG whiskey I use
**20# of cracked corn ground fine "super fine" and and between 3-4# of crushed rye I add that and 12.5 - 13 gallons of cold water.
**I bring that to a boil and boil the ever living crap out of it for an hour, stir a ton or it will burn like MAD!
**let that set in my boil kettle covered and insulated till the temp falls to about 152-154 then start to stir in my crushed grain I use 8-10# of 2 row barley malt.
** stir that like crazy till its mixed very well then stir a little more. If it looks a little thick at this point I will add a touch of hot 156-158* water.
**Again cover and let mash for 60 min. I do an Iodine test at 60 min just to see if all the starch is converted. if it is.
**take a refractometer reading I am normally around 1.070 to 1.080 I am new to this so I am never spot on. I am shooting for 1.080
**chill to 75* and pitch a crap load of yeast. I use 4 packs of US-05 dry beer yeast.
**let ferment for about 10-14 days or more, I ferment in my boil kettle. I have a custom false bottom with a sweet filter system built into it, this is the slight mods I was talking about. so once done fermenting I add 2# of cleaned rice hulls to assist in the draining process, drain through my false bottom (it takes a lot of work to drain it all but it will go). I would love to be able to just transfer the entire ferment into my still so I dont loose all the alcohol that is trapped in the grain but I dont have a way to stir it while I am distilling it so I drain into a couple of buckets and cover and chill for a few days to let the yeast drop out so I can reuse it.
*******I do add water and sugar to whats left in the fermenter bring my OG up to 1.080 and let that ferment. The corn still has a ton of flavor and alot of alcohol in it so this is what I call my cheater run. I run this separate and keep it for my mixing whiskey to drink while my other AG stuff is aging, anyway back on track*******
**Rack into my boiler and run my stripper run. I will do this up to 3 times collecting all my lo wines and then charge my still to 40% and run a stripper run.
I would love to take credit for the recipe but I cant. I got the recipe from a guy in CA that never ran it himself but came up with it and had to quit stilling before he ever got a chance to try it. I have shared a few bottles with him for his efforts though.
** I will take about a gallon of the spent grain and corn and add that to my next batch and about gallon of my backset and add that to my next ferment. Watch the PH and dont let it get to acidic on ya but I have found that about a gallon of backset is just right.
**Once the spirit run is done I air everything out for 24-48 hours and make my cuts
** Cut to 120 proof and stick it in an American white oak BBL and forget about it.

I dont think I have forgotten anything but hell I have been drinking...

There it is guys, Thats what I do. No sugar added!

Not just a lurker any more. :text-lol:
lurker

equipment: stripper

Return to Welcome Centre