Still learning

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Still learning

Postby Bundy Red » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 am

Keith here from the famous rum town. Have been stilling on and off for the last 10 years using a mates still, but got into it more in the last few years. I have coeliac disease, which means I cant have gluten (grains) which means no beer. So I brought the T500 still to cut down the cost of drinking. I now use the tomato recipe and filter using the Fuselex nano filter to polish (not sure I need to, but is cheap to run and cant hurt). I use the Essencia bourbon chunks for bourbon, but still trying to find a good scotch essence. I use the Willards smooth rum for my Bundy Red, close but could be better.
Bundy Red

Re: Still learning

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:23 am

G'day Keith
Welcome to the forum. I'll give that Willards smooth rum a go as Im pretty fond of rum.
The rum flavorings Ive tried so far havnt been that good.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Welcome Bundy Red,

If you like a good rum you should try a molasses wash and run it through your T500, one thing about molasses is you cant reflux the flavor of it out.

You'll end up with a nice light rum that just needs to sit on oak for a bit of color.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Bundy Red » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:26 pm

There you go...I would have thought the reflux would strip out any of the flavours. This is why we love forums. Will look up a molasses wash.
Bundy Red

Postby reknaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm

I've pulled rum at 85% through a detuned reflux and it's got the rum flavour, you've got to do mollasses washes, especially considering where your from :)
reknaw

Postby Bundy Red » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Will do....should be easy enough to get the ingreadents :D
Bundy Red

Postby Bundy Red » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm lucky enough to have a father in law (who use to work at the mill) that still has some of the Bundy rum vat timer from an ex one at home, so I will do a molasses run and soak on the vat oak.
Bundy Red

Return to Welcome Centre