Way out West

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Way out West

Postby sumthing2do » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:07 pm

G'day folks,

I'm on the West Coast of this Beautiful country of ours (Australia that is). Discovered distilling through a mate o' mine which set me on a long course of reading a bundle of material. Not wanting to sit around twiddling my thumbs, and having quite a bit of research under my belt, I built a Nixon-Stone type reflux column and mounted that on a salvaged 50l beer keg fitted with 1 x .9kw and 1 x 1.35kw elements.
I learnt v-e-r-y quickly that I knew so little. Now after nearly 3 years of bubble and boil and further extensive googling and reading, I'm happy to be able to say that my batches are "doing good". I ferment 9kg dextrose on 48hr Turbo in 21 litres of (sometimes) filtered water. The boil off is consistently producing 3.5 litres of 95% abv approx., of slightly sweet neutral spirit. Something I'm happy with. I'm conservative in what I keep. 100ml of fores go into the fuel jar for the fish smoker. 3.5 ltrs of mids are kept, and what dribbles out as tails up until about 82degrees is kept as feints for the next batch.

And I'm hoping to learn a lot more so that's why I'm here.

Cheers
sumthing2do

equipment: Self built Nixon - Stone type Relux column sitting on to p of 50L salvaged beer keg.

Re: Way out West

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi WoW,
Welcome to the forum mate, It sounds like your well on your way.
It sounds like your "Slightly sweet neutral" sounds like you might still have some heads in it. ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi ya STD wel.... :scared-eek: STD :wtf: i thought the fella using the initials TLC earlier today was a dooza :laughing-rolling:
Any way welcome here bud sounds like your getting into it +1 on the cuts and the turbo's are not noted for producing exceptional quality, have a squiz in the tried and proven :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Ha crow, Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Fuck Crow,you're quick today bud :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Anyway back on topic,welcome to the forum mate,seems like you're off to a good start :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now the real fun begins :D
Cheers
CC
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Goldie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:26 am

Howdy mate and welcome. Well done on building your own still, post up some pictures if you have some.
Have a try of the tomato paste wash in the Tried and Proven section for a excellent neutral that's not sweet. If you still have another turbo packet try the next one with sugar and see if you can taste a difference to your dextrose batches.
Plenty of great ideas on here and a few good laughs too.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Goldie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am

Follow this link for tomato paste wash
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

TPW will give you a less sweet tasting neutral. Friend use to use turbos. make the switch and you will be impressed. You will be sacrificing a little bit of time with the extra fermentation time, and some yield (9kg of dex with 21 litres is pretty high. From what i have read initial SG should be 1.06 - 1.08. i would guess that the initial would be 1.1+ with 9kg), but it will be worth it
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Way out West

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:43 pm

I did turbos for maybe 3-4 runs. Then swapped to TPW. I have never looked back.

Be brutal with cuts, turf heaps of heads and tails and do a feints run of all your crappy turf.

I get maybe 2-3L of 94~% spirit instead of an easy 4.5l for a turbo run but the quality is astonishingly different.

If you've got neutral questions ask away. I can give you plenty of advice on TPW.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Welcome Centre