G'day all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day all

Postby DurbinBourbon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Southwest aussie/american hobby stiller here, been distilling for a couple years now starting with a commercial air still, upgrading to a reflux and all the store bought ingredients,ive tried quite a few flavors and essence "notes" and am not entirely impressed, im here because i have a passion for whiskey and this craft, i want to start making the real deal..grains,charred oak barrels..flavor.
DurbinBourbon

equipment: T-500,ez 10l filter

Re: G'day all

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm

G'day Durbin, welcome to the forum dude :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Welcome

well I wouldnt be upgrading to a reflux if you want to make proper whiskey. So I hope you havnt bought that yet. Have a good read here and you will find what you need to be in or start with :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby DurbinBourbon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome, i did buy a reflux still a few months ago and im happy with the experience i gained from using both the air still and the bigger reflux still. i am however getting more experience in loving whiskey from all over the world, so id like to start getting into using grains instead of just white sugar so that i might be able to barrel something worth sitting on for a few years.
DurbinBourbon

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Welcome DB,

Always good to see another westie get on board :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

you will have to ditch the reflux or dismantle it so it runs in a pot mode or something. If you have the cash get one made for the job or make one if you think you can.

Keep your reflux and fuck the air still off if you still have it. Get a rig that will do what you wanna do and go from there. If you tell us what you want to make like everything then sure people will give you your best options :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

Postby DurbinBourbon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm

i got rid of the air still to get the reflux, im looking at pot still lids to fit my boiler, im assuming it would be cheaper to make my own pot still lid,but is it reasonably easy? with good plans...for someone who can weld and braze? or should i just remove reflux packing as you suggested...can i just say this has been the best source if info on the subject ive ever seen.....THANKS HEAPS
DurbinBourbon

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 pm

how is it attached to the lid? not sure on them stills but you might just need a ferrule and triclamp to suit your boiler then build the still off that. pot will do you well for a start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

Postby googe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Welcome mate, you found the right site :handgestures-thumbupleft: good luck with your ventures.
googe

Return to Welcome Centre