Say goodbye to the liver...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Say goodbye to the liver...

Postby baldoss » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 am

Hi all

Brand new to the distilling game here: no equipment, no experience, nada! Been moving steadily away from the beers over the last couple years and into the wide world of spirits, particularly whiskey (love the Irish stuff) and rum (esp. spiced stuff, keen to make my own spiced rums). I want to get into to distilling as much to make my own stuff and save money as to learn about and appreciate the whole distilling process.

Was looking at three options - one of two reflux stills (Boka or the design from the book 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey') or a pot still. I've bounced around a bit but am setlling on going for the pot still for a few reasons: good for learning, uncomplicated to use, not as big a financial commitment (in the unlikely event that I don't enjoy doing it), smaller size, and for my general drinking preferences (whiskey/rum). Had my eye on one of those McStill pot stills on the web store (just need to get a keg and all the other equipment too). I considered building my own still from scratch but I'm pretty shithouse on the tools and would prefer to buy a well priced setup and go from there first. Save the bubbler for later :-D

I don't really drink enough gins, vodkas and that sort of stuff to really be needing a still capable of high 90's %ABV but I was under the impression that the extra control from those reflux stills can be used to make good whiskeys etc as well... need some advice here.

Community here looks great and very helpful so any feedback on what sort of still/setup I should look at for a fairly time-poor beginner who spends a fair bit of time away from home for work and loves his whiskeys and spiced rum would be awesome!

Cheers
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Re: Say goodbye to the liver...

Postby blond.chap » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:48 am

Welcome mate,

There's an argument that your liver may thank you for drinking less methanol and acetone.

I got into the hobby for more or less the same reasons as you, but the one that dominates now is learning about how it all works and removing the "magic" to a bottle of spirit, it's pretty great fun.

If it was me I'd go for a simple pot still for your whisky and rum, if you make good cuts (see newbies corner for definition) you can get a great product from these things.

Also, about building your own, if you're interested it's not all that hard to work out soldering and handling copper in general. But I'd recommend you get a pre-built still first, otherwise there's a temptation to rush the build.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Kimbo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:24 am

Hi Baldoss, welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby bt1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:58 am

Welcome,

seems like you have the plan organized...look forward to a few first run and first drinks stories

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Welcome.mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: I just had a full blood test and the doc said me liver and kidneys are perfect for my age :shock: goes to show.drinking is good :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Good to have ya here Baldy :handgestures-thumbupleft: Sounds like you've got your shit together and the 2 hardest questions you've got facing you are,what to build,and how big?
Both answers are real easy :handgestures-thumbupleft: a pot still,and no good fucking about,go 4" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: If you do go 4",grab a couple of metres of it,you're gunna end up building a bubbler anyway :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Anyway mate,welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi baldoss wecome here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Camikaze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Welcome to the pub mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby baldoss » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks guys, still a few weeks of planning and purchasing to do but I'll be sure to share my blunders, fuckups and the eventual success :handgestures-thumbupleft:
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Return to Welcome Centre