hello everyone

Say Hi and introduce yourself

hello everyone

Postby Pot belly shine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Hello all, im new to the hobby. I have been reading on the forums for several months now and recently purchased Smileys book "making pure corn whiskey". I am still in the research stage of everything still ( im a fast learner and thought i could just pick out a style still and a recipe and be on my marry drunken way :teasing-tease: ) well the more i read the more i realized im lost and don't have a clue. so before i kill my self or someone else im in my 5 month of reading and searching. (3+ hrs a day reading)

So a little about myself here, Im a handy man, I know how to mig and tig weld, ive been to school for sheet metal fabrication and feel as if im a fast learner and a teachable person.
So far I have gone out and bought two stainless steel kegs, one is 15.5 gal and the is 7.5 gal. (went the legal way of doing this by the way :D ) and for the bigger keg my thoughts are to make a 2" pot still with a worm and the smaller keg doing boka or a Nixon offset.
My reasoning behind these is cause,for the pot still make whiskey, I love my whiskeys, the boka or Nixon I can also use to "strip" with and then make vodkas , etc., with.

Also I am looking for so direction or input on the best way about making "white lightning" there are just so many things on here about it that im lost and confused about it. I had lightning yearssss ago and have since been dying to make my own.

so fellas i am open to all criticism and help! thanks for the time and all the wealth of knowledge you guys have put on here :text-thankyoublue:

-Pot Belly Shine
Pot belly shine

equipment: 15.5 keg pot still, condenser undecided (reflux boka, or a worm w/thumper ) 7.5 reflux pot still nixion offset or boka?

Re: hello everyone

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi Pot Belly Shine,
sounds like your half way there already. Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Welcome mate, sounds like your doing alot of reading, well done :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I'll be the dumbass and ask what white lightning is ?, I can't find anything about it on here?. Im guessing it's an American term for either some sort of whiskey or nuet? 8-} .
googe

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Gday mate, you would be better off doing your stripping runs through a pot still not the boka or nixon :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep go the potstill for your whisky. Get a large diameter 3" boka or VM or whatever you want for neutrel and you will be set until you realise that you really want a bubbler :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi ya bud welcome here :handgestures-thumbupleft: @ gopher white lighting is simply high ABV spirit, reckon the term comes from a 95% medical spirit called white light ( I think that's what I was told many yrs ago)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Pot belly shine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks for all the kind words, I'm not exactly positive on what white lightning is other then I had it and it was delicious lol I hear it's also called white dog, Mountain Dew? But I'm sure just like everything else it has 10 different names for one version. Tomato, towmato right? And I can only imagine your right on a bubbler! They are sexy. But as they say you have to crawl before you can run. :violence-stickwhack:

So if white lightning is in fact just a higher abv wiskey a potstill will work just dandy?

Thanks fellers,
Pot Belly Shine
Pot belly shine

equipment: 15.5 keg pot still, condenser undecided (reflux boka, or a worm w/thumper ) 7.5 reflux pot still nixion offset or boka?

Postby crow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:41 am

Yep just run it through twice, a fast strip and when ya got enough low wines done a slower spirit run. White dog is simply white in unaged spirit normally whiskey white lightning would be the same uncut , mountain dew is slang for moonshine is all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Pot belly shine » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 am

@crow :-B ahhh haa! Thank you much kind sir. Things are coming together!

~Pot Belly Shine
Pot belly shine

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 am

Howdy and welcome,

I understood white dog to be a all grain based spirit, sometimes aged but no timber... So clear. Buffalo Trace and One distillery in Montana have them retail most every where. The clear Buffalo is a really nice drop...Dan Murphy's for AUST. local reseller.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy and welcome,

I understood white dog to be a all grain based spirit, sometimes aged but no timber... So clear.

Aged in what? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Good point sam

I've always thought of white dog to be out of the spout of the still. Usually a corn whiskey, but sometimes not.

Pot belly, if you like your whiskey, concentrate on the pot still. Save the little keg for low wines (strip).
emptyglass

Postby Pot belly shine » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone.

WineGlass that's what I was thinking of doing with the little keg. For a keg 7.5 gals what set up do think would be benificial to that setup?
Pot belly shine

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Can't go wrong with a 2"pot still when starting out. I'm a fan of the ol' worm, good things, but take up space. They use less water than a leibig if water is an issue for you.
You might outgrow it fairly quick, but that says a lot. Means your ready to take on store bought, head on. You can make a drop as good as store bought quite quickly, on simple recipies with a 2" pot.

If you want to mess with anything bigger, might help to check out a few threads on the bigger pots or plated columns.
emptyglass

Postby Pot belly shine » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Awesome WineGlass! Yes I ordered up my triclamp and I was looking at designs for my pot still. I have all the 1/2 coil for the worm about 50' of it and and empty steel tank to the cooling barrel. Only issue I seem to be running into is a height to have my 2" column before I throw on the 90 and reduce the pipe. But I was planning on using the 15.5 gal keg for this set up but I'm open to suggestions and ill def take you up on those links. I'm always up for planning my next project!

Thanks guys
Pot belly shine

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 pm

About the 600mm/2' mark works well.
emptyglass

Return to Welcome Centre