Howdy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy

Postby waza » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Howdy and thanks for this great site full of information. (ya gotta love the digital information age)
Well this is me, I have been brewing beer now for about 25 years, my current beer set up is a dedicated fridge 2 x taps and 4 x 19L kegs.
I have been fiddling around with neutral, supplied by a mate for about 2 1/2 years. mostly I make bourbon, I oak neutral on JD chips for 3 months, then mix with SS Tennessee Bourbon essence to make something that I am happy with. I have also dabbled in soaking fruit, making flavored vodkas and southern,(without the added sugar), and some Kafe coffee stuff.
I have decided its time to get a bit more serious so I have decided that I will build a slant plate Boka, rather than buying a pure spirits rig that I have been looking at. Im used to the neutral stuff so thought Id stick to that for now and maybe get into a pot latter on. I plan to build the boka so it can be used as a pot as well.
So last weekend I acquired a 50 L keg for the boiler, and scrounged a few fittings, I have enough stuff to start the liebig condenser, less the 1/4 " copper and thanks to this site now now how to de spear the keg.

I am north of newcastle, so if anyone can advise the best place to get stuff like copper, SS ferrules and Tri fittings, start shouting,
Thanks Waza
waza

equipment: still looking.

Re: Howdy

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Where nth of newcastle are you from. Seems a few wanna make bourbons from neutrals and TBH I would build a pot and do it properly. You are already aging on oak so there wont be much new there only no essence.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Howdy

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Welcome mate Check out the tried Nd proven thread for some recipe ideas
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 pm

welcome to the forum waza
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby waza » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, there's some great info and recipes on here.
KG Im about 50 min north in the Nelson Bay area. Ill get the neutral stuff under my belt first and then will give a pot a go. gotta start somewhere, and am a bit more familiar with the neutral at the moment.
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby jdonly1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Welcom aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby Jonno » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 pm

wasup waza!!

You'll love the journey mate. Just don't let yourself get ahead of it. I sat here thinking i could use this and use that etc but i think ive finally settled down and will build things slowly as i use them. That or you just start enjoying building things!
Jonno

Return to Welcome Centre