Hey from Nsw south coast

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey from Nsw south coast

Postby stillgotit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 pm

hey everyone I'm a newbie and just starting to build my first still. Got into it after watching the US T.v series Moonshiners and various Youtube videos. I Currently just have a couple kegs and came on here for a better idea of a design and where to source the copper pipe and connections from.
stillgotit

equipment: Building my first reflux still

Re: Hey from Nsw south coast

Postby 1 2many » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Gday mate and welcome ,you will find all the info you need write here .I am a newbie too and the guys will guide you along
just fine ,as they say decide on what you want to make then the proper advice can be given for the required still .All
the best in your new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Hey from Nsw south coast

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Dude you are in be right place. What do you like to drink? This question generally steers people in the right direction for builds and purchases.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby stillgotit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Just looking at starting off making vodka..

where do everyone buy there 2" ferrule and Tri clamps from?
stillgotit

Postby stillgotit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:46 pm

looking at making a pot still.

with the condenser how do you get the outer tube to mate down to the inner tube.. don't know if that makes sense but is there connectors on the market that do that?
stillgotit

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:50 pm

called a reducer. But you will have to file out the stop in the reducer so the smaller tube slides right threw
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby stillgotit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 pm

cheers kelby
stillgotit

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:34 pm

stillgotit wrote:I Currently just have a couple kegs

I reckon getting a keg is the hardest part so your well on your way!!! Welcome and good luck with it.

I find Hardware and General sells copper at a reasonable price just make sure you get trade price which I think everyone gets anyways. Also the forum admin boss guy sells the 2" ferrule and Tri clamps.
Phil

equipment: Boka Reflux and some mods in the works.

Postby stillgotit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Hahah Yeh I managed to get 3 Kegs so i have enough for future projects. I'm just researching on the net now for copper reducers to make my condenser. Do you think something like this will work? what size copper tubing do most people use for the outside of there condenser and the inside tube?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stillgotit

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

mines 1.25" over 3/4 ". That fitting will work if you can get the right sizeas or just drill a hole in the outer tube thats tight for a 1/2" pipe and solder it on.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby googe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Welcome mate, do you know you will have to do multiple runs with a pot to get neutral/ vodka?. Maybe a reflux would suit you better if your after vodka?. Good luck.

Cheers
googe

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 pm

My product condersor/cooler is 3/4" jacket over 1/2", that is on a 2" boka. Just get a file onto the fitting in your pic and that will let the pipes slide through. And as Googe said if you want to make vodka then maybe look into a refulx still.
Phil

equipment: Boka Reflux and some mods in the works.

Postby 1 2many » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 pm

stillgotit wrote:Hahah Yeh I managed to get 3 Kegs so i have enough for future projects. I'm just researching on the net now for copper reducers to make my condenser. Do you think something like this will work? what size copper tubing do most people use for the outside of there condenser and the inside tube?

I checked the price of these yesterday 3/4 over 1/2

.Bunnings $4.50 (good quality thick)
and
Masters $2.50 (alot thinner)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Welcome Centre