Hi from TAS

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from TAS

Postby noname4670 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Just new to the Hobby only been doing it for a month or so but all ready enjoying the benifits of the hobby
i am only using an airstill at present but will be looking to get a T500 ib the not to distant future if all goes to plan
as i am new to this i am using turbo yeast at the moment but am always willing to learn more specially from anyone in tassie

Tim
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Re: Hi from TAS

Postby JayD » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Bushy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Hey Apples, :greetings-waveyellow:
Welcome to the forum mate. If yr big plan is to invest in a T500 then I think one fellow Tasmanite who could help you is Jayd.
You're both in Tas so he'll only be five minutes away and he may put you onto better plan. IMHO.
Enjoy yaself
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Welcome aboard great to have you here , JayD is the man to speak to for sure and I think we will convice you very quickly that Turbo is realy not the greatest way to go, Have a look at this http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep have a good read through the newbies corner before spending any of your hard earned down at the brew shop ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Hi from TAS

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Welcome mate, you could do much better than a t500. What do you like to make/drink?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Bandicoot Wrangler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi there and welcome. I am a recent member myself. Like yourself my experience has all been with the dextro/turbo way of doing things. I grew up in Zeehan and have many fond memories of tramping round the scrub on the North West Coast.

Regards.

BW
Bandicoot Wrangler

Postby noname4670 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Welcome mate, you could do much better than a t500. What do you like to make/drink?

my fave is jim beam or equilivent but i also can drink dark rum or single malt wisky
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Postby crow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:58 pm

noname4670 wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:Welcome mate, you could do much better than a t500. What do you like to make/drink?

my fave is jim beam or equilivent but i also can drink dark rum or single malt wisky

T500 can't make any of those drinks you mentioned, in fact that still can't even be safely detuned to make those drinks. Its strictly a vodka/neutral ethanol still. The drinks your talking about are made with a pot or plated still,
Welcome here bud sounds like you got here just in time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby satchy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:47 pm

I bought a t500 and now have a pot still 500 condenser just sits there lol
I guess for the odd Baileys etc is still comes in handy
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Postby TassieStiller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 am

Welcome to the forums :)

I too was going to buy a T500 but after reading around here and on other sites, I went for a custom job that can both pot still and column still. A bit more expensive, but it is worth the wait if you need to wait a bit longer. My column makes great vodka and recently finished my first attempt at a full bourbon run, which was an absolute hit. I'm from the south of the Apple Isle, and am happy to discuss anything that may help you with your decisions to purchase etc :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby Dominator » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 am

G'day mate, while the T500 and the likes are a fair still and can make a decent neutral, I think over time you would find yourself wanting more. The fact that you are chasing what we call flavoured spirits (bourbon, rum and whisky) as opposed to vodka/neutral, means you are far better off with a pot still. For the cost of a T500 boiler and a still to mount on it you could build yourself a boiler from a 50L beer keg, either gas or electric heated, and get a quality still from JayD (seeing as he is only up the road from you). While it is a little bit more effort, it will leave you in a much better position in the long term. When, not if but when, because I can guarantee you will want to at some stage, you upgrade to a bigger better still, you will already have a decent boiler, where as with the HBS 25L boiler you will be very limited with upgrade options.

As people have said above, have a read through the newbie section and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Return to Welcome Centre