Finally I'm getting around to say G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Finally I'm getting around to say G'day

Postby beeksy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 am

Hi all,
I've been a member for some time now and I've been distilling for about 6 years now.
I started with a 25l still spirits reflux still using turbo's and carbon making something i thought was good....for the price. It didn't take me long to find out about TPW and WPOSW, stripping runs, cuts, running still as a pot, removing plastic and rubber from still, etc from homedistiller. Although it was better and cheaper than turbos I could never make something that even came close to a neutral. All ways smelling and tasting of tails and sour yeast????

I am hopeless trying to explain tastes and smells. So I was stuck with carbon filtering that I hate with a passion. Tried UJSM, rum from molasses, DWWG all failing miserably and re-distilling and filtering. I pretty well gave up for a while until I found the This Forum that helped being Aussie and more helpful I could nearly answer all questions i had without posting (Reason 1 for taking so long to post hi). I sorted out a voltage controller thinking that the elements i had (1250w and 2200w) were too big and smearing my cuts........nope still tasted like CRAP?

I didn't know if my taste buds were super fussy and everyone else on forums were just seasoned to home distilled booze...(Reason 2 for not posting earlier). So i was at wits end and I couldn't see how my still run as a simple pot could be the problem...but was the only thing yet I have not changed. So build I did. Got 2m of 2" copper from a plumber for a carton of piss and promise of a bottle when things work out. I have now built a Dual slant plate boka on a 1.4m column and a simple pot still.
I did my maiden run with my boka on a feints run of dud rum and neutral and I can report........alcometer sunk to the bottom of the glass and believe it or not tasted like.......nothing....WINNING! Now i had a UJ fermentering for another attempt. I stripped the first sweet run with my old still......poo...but went to neutral pile anyway. I have since done a stripping run of second gen UJ with my built pot and actually smelt of nice corn as opposed to stale rat and infected corn as per previous attempts at UJSM. So old still got booted to curb wondering WTF.
O well 6 years in the making I things are looking great for the future.
So ill do shout out thanks to everyone from noob to the pro's, all question and experiences helped me and I'm going to now help out if and where I can.

Here Is a few pics
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beeksy

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka on 1.4m column and 2" Pot on a modified HBS 25lt Boiler

Re: Finally I'm getting around to say G'day

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am

Hell of a story there Beeksy.

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

It just goes to show how we all progress in this hobby over time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Building your own is a great experience, at least for me it is.

Look forward to more of your posts, now you've started. :D :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Bushy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 am

Bout bloody time ;-)
Good onya Beeksy. Welcome to the madhouse :greetings-waveyellow:
Whats the go with yr shed ? You some kind of a neat freak mate ?
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby beeksy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:18 am

Neat freak my arse, I had to back my car out so I had room to work with the copper, that's the organized side of the shed, I'm afraid to look at the other side. lol
beeksy

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka on 1.4m column and 2" Pot on a modified HBS 25lt Boiler

Postby Dominator » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:44 am

Good to see your getting it sorted. Nothing worse than being all excited too test your product and it does meet your expectations.

I agree Bushy, his shed is way too clean. I have a 9mx9m shed and I can still only fit one car in it. :wtf:
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby tipsy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm

beeksy wrote:Hi all,
I've been a member for some time now

:clap: Bout time ya said g'day rather than just eavesdropping :teasing-neener:

Nice pics mate, welcome aboard.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby punchy21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I would say welcome but you've been here for a while so, g'day :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Welcome aboard!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Beesky :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Glad you finally got it sorted mate, your not the only one to have been led down the HBS turbo path before seeing the light :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby beeksy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:53 am

Yea. I still think its bizaar that the same washs run through my poxy reflux still configured to a pot has a completly differerent (poor) results as opposed to a very simple pot still. Makes me want to run a grinder through the still looking for a reason or a dead rat.
beeksy

Return to Welcome Centre