Hi All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi All

Postby felsy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi my names Mat and i'm an alcoholic.....not quiet but getting their lol

I have been making so called neutral spirits then flavoring it from my pure distilling still for a few years now and while it has been drinkable cheep booze i haven't been real impressed by it. I brought the still a from home brew shop and used turbo yeast as recommended by them and followed their instructions. i stopped making it about 6 months ago because i didnt really like its funky taste. then on afl grand final weekend i was over at a mates place and he showed me some spirits that one of his wife's friends make's and it was top quality!!
So the next day i jumped on the net and started googling and came across this great site, not long after that i started my first TPW, which should be ready in a few days!
cant wait to try it out

i've also been looking at all the different styles of stills on here and i feel a little ahh well inadequate now lol,

i have a keg which i'm now planning on converting into a boiler,and now want a plate/ bubbler still to sit on top of that i just dont know whether to by or make one.....
felsy

equipment: 3̶0̶L̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶i̶l̶'̶a̶'̶b̶e̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶i̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶
50lt Keg boiler, with 5-STAR 4 inch 4 plate bubbler

Re: Hi All

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So many decisions and not enough booze :laughing-rolling:

Keep having a read and you will find your solution ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Hi All

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:14 pm

I had a pure rig, they are a great producer of neutral if you're doing TPW or weetbix washes.

Lay off the turbos and cut only hearts into your mix (the instructions you get with them are terrible - do NOT keep all the run and do not use turbo yeast) and you'll get a very nice vodka to play with for schnapps and the like.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:20 pm

G'day :greetings-waveyellow:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby felsy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:50 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:I had a pure rig, they are a great producer of neutral if you're doing TPW or weetbix washes.

Lay off the turbos and cut only hearts into your mix (the instructions you get with them are terrible - do NOT keep all the run and do not use turbo yeast) and you'll get a very nice vodka to play with for schnapps and the like.

thanks mate
yeah i was doing it as per instructions, so this next run (my first TPW) will be doing it the propper way, do you air the cuts?
felsy

equipment: 3̶0̶L̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶i̶l̶'̶a̶'̶b̶e̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶i̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶

Postby JayD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Kimbo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 pm

felsy wrote:Hi my names Mat and i'm an alcoholic.....not quiet but getting their lol

Hi, My name is Kimbo...and I'm not far behind you mate. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Welcome to the forum son :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:10 am

Kimbo wrote:
felsy wrote:Hi my names Mat and i'm an alcoholic.....not quiet but getting their lol

Hi, My name is Kimbo...and I'm not far behind you mate. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Welcome to the forum son :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bullshit! The race is run and won Kimbo :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Dominator » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 am

Welcome mate.

felsy wrote:thanks mate
yeah i was doing it as per instructions, so this next run (my first TPW) will be doing it the propper way, do you air the cuts?

Yeah mate, airing your jars for 24-48 hours before making your cuts is the way to go. It makes the process a lot easier.

As for the build vs buy debate on a bubbler. I have read more than once that it cost people just as much to build as it would to buy a FSD bubbler. There is a passion and sense of acheivement in building your own. However the FSD gear really is top knotch your garunteed it will work, no burnt limbs and no swearing. I went half way between and built some parts and bought some parts. Hope that helps.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Bushy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey mate. Welcome to the ring.
I'm with dominator. If you like to make things and you got good hands, make a bubbler. Failing that purchase from one of our commercial members and you can't go wrong. Either way, if you like a drink the thing will be payed for in no time.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 pm

No doubt about it, making your own still is one of the most rewarding things in this hobby once you start drinking it's nectar.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:16 pm

:text-+1:

Making a bubbler not only gets you use to using copper it helps make sense of where everything goes and what is does.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby felsy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks guys
I'm leaning towards making one out of copper, but i can see it costing as much as a brought one :?
I'll start looking around the scrap yard places for off cuts of copper and ring some plumbing joints, i rang REECE plumbing and their prices were just ridiculous.
so if i can get some reasonably priced copper i think i will make one but if not i think i'll be buying one of Mac's 5 Star 4" stills (they look to good to use though lol) :smile:
felsy

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Have you got all the tools to build one? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby felsy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Have you got all the tools to build one? :think:

i'm unsure of allthe tools i need, but i have a large flate steel work bench (1000mm X 2000mm X20mm) various size ball-peen hammers,a large and small softblow hammer, oxy set, 5" grinder and a burr grinder
i'm thinking i should probably get an anvil?
what else do you need when working with copper??
felsy

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:34 pm

If you're not using "T"s you will need a hole saw for whatever size sight glasses you want to use.
Some form of heating. Oxy, lpg or Mapp gas depending on if you are hard or soft soldering.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 pm

felsy wrote:what else do you need when working with copper??

A couple of decent sets of pipe cutters will be your best investment ever, lifes so easy when you can cut everything square.

Also a decent little propane torch, oxy/brazing is overkill on anything smaller than 2"

A square and a spirit level are handy too.

;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Yep what they said. Some good drill bits and a few of the if doing perf plates. Also your consumables like solder and flux and your time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Return to Welcome Centre