Hello from Central Queensland

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Postby Farmhand » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi all, I'm a temporarily disabled boilermaker in limbo, can't do much because of a few spinal problems, I've had two discs removed from my neck and the area fused. But that is just what has been fixed. I'm stuck on a lovely mountain top with plenty of space but every time I try to do work it lays me up. So I got to use my time doing hobbies or waste my life watching TV, TV is not my thing unless there is something interesting on it, which is rare these days.

Anyway I can still pick up a bag of sugar or a bucket of grain and I need something to do, I can't really drink alcohol very often because of the medications, but I do like to make stuff, in fact I live to make stuff of all kinds. I'm here to try to become very good at producing a good drop. If I can't drink often I might as well take pleasure in the production and quality or flavor of the drink.

My first distillation produced a good drop, A friend of mine who makes his own neutral spirits and flavors them tried my 50% distillate raw with some coke and he could not understand how I could drink mine and it tastes nice where as his he has to filter his through charcoal and flavor it and still it tastes a bit off. I tried to explain that I took off "cut's" to get the nice stuff and blend the cuts to get more or less flavors ect. but he got confused, he just does what the pamphlet tells him. It cost's him over 6 dollars for the yeast for one 25 liter batch. No way in this life will I pay $6 for a few grams of yeast.

My aim is to spend as little money on consumables as possible while maintaining quality ingredients, spending more money on the equipment is ok because it gets used repeatedly. And I can take plenty of time to do things slowly, I am in no rush.

Gotta say it's great to find a site with so much good info. Lot's to learn here, already much learned here.

Don't forget to prepare for the stormy season folks, stay safe.

Cheerio then.
Farmhand

equipment: Air still and pot still

Re: Hello from Central Queensland

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Great to have you here Farmhand :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Your gunna love this hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby CHEROKEE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Giday Farmhand,

Welcome to the forum! You've found a great site to answer all your questions and everyone needs a hobby.
I didn’t find mine till of late. I’ve never used an Air still but spent a few years on a T-500, before leaping to
FSD equipment. I’m set now and will never look back but it’s hard being a apprentice again, plenty to learn.

Happy Hobby, CHEERS
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby Bushy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Some cheeky buggers would say us boilys are all permanently disabled :-D
Sorry to hear about yr health issues mate. Fkn sucks. On the bright side, your attitude. Seems like yr lookin at what you can do. Good onya.
Welcome to the group
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Smbjk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 am

Wlecome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: what part of queensland you from :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby dogbreath vodka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 am

Welcome Farmhand.

You will find lots to do on this forum and lots to make.

A 4" piece of copper or even stainless isn't that heavy..... if you are making a modular.
;-) ;-)
Even a 6" :D

Do what you can and stay healthy.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Dominator » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 am

Welcome mate, I am in the same boat as you. Hurt my back at work and have had a disc removed and fused. Unfortunatly I cant pick up anything over 5kg. It makes things hard but where there's a will there's a way. I started because bundy no longet made the rum I liked and because I needed a hobby. Now I am totaly addicted.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:35 am

Welcome mate - and no I wouldn't pay $6 for yeast either: unless it was a fine strain of liquid Belgian ale yeast for my beer:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Smbjk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:01 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Welcome mate - and no I wouldn't pay $6 for yeast either: unless it was a fine strain of liquid Belgian ale yeast for my beer:-)

:text-+1: mmmm beer :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby JayD » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Farmhand » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks for the warm welcome fella's, I'm near the town of Mt Morgan in Central Queensland, it's fire and storm prep time, lots to do and I should not do any of the work but I am, gotta weigh up the consequences either way. I'll just pace myself, lift with levers and machines, be careful and think before I act. Having an engaging hobby is vital in my opinion. I also dabble in electronics a bit
mostly self taught. I built a Tesla Transformer, a crystal radio receiver and some other things. A bit of electrical tinkering might be helpful to my efforts. I've built a chicken egg incubator with digital thermostat control and have about four digital temp controllers with some differing functions I can utilize. I'm messing about with some thermo electric modules lately for a cooler/heater. I need more equipment for sure, I'll need to do some reading here and decide the best way to go for me as far as grain processing equipment goes. I do tend to get a bit obsessive with things that interest me. I think this is one hobby where i can always improve and diversify. I like beer but I'm not confident I can make good beer yet. I'll get there. One thing at a time. I know one thing is that a medicinal drink or two at night helps me to sleep well. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Farmhand

equipment: Air still and pot still

Return to Welcome Centre