G'day Guy's

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day Guy's

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 pm

G'day guy's,
Finally looks like I found a top forum for my new hobby of making my own moonshine.....

Anyway a bit of a story behind my entry into all this, a few years ago at a new job I started the boss said to arrange to scrap that heap of SS out back of the workshop. I rummaged thru it and the thought came to mind why waste good material when a couple of stills can be made. The first boil pot I made is a 5 litre one and served well on my first run. Also I've made a 30 litre boil pot and thats finally ready to use on my next run as soon as I make up the gas heating arrangement. I will put up some pic's as time goes by and I gotta say winding 1/2" copper into a coil to fit inside a 3" SS tube for the condensor was fun but I got there.

My first run was a 5 litre batch of some HB 'Canadian Blonde' I made and I was that impressed with the final product watered down to 35% I decided to do another one. One off 'Australian Pale Ale' HB kit, 4 kg's of sugar and an initial hg reading of 1062. Still fermenting nicely in my temp controlled fridge and in a few after more and more reading on this forum I'll be doing my second run with a bit more knowledge.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: G'day Guy's

Postby JayD » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

G'day Guy's

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Welcome mate, wait until you move onto something like malt extract minus the hops or even all grain batches. Plenty of good recipes in our tried and true section.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Kimbo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Bryan welcome mate,
As ByB said, wait till you start experimenting with grains and stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 pm

G'day Bryan1, hope you enjoy your time here.... have fun :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:18 am

Welcome here Brian, as others have suggested nothing wrong with beer schnapps but with a few changes you could be pumping out some nice whiskeys
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Smbjk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 am

Welcome mate love to see a pic of your rig :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

crow wrote:Welcome here Brian, as others have suggested nothing wrong with beer schnapps but with a few changes you could be pumping out some nice whiskeys

Thanks for the welcome guy's, now last night when I found the forum I learnt for the first time on just how to make whiskey but still a bit vague with this generation thing. Would there be a 101 thread on the whole process as that will give me the full picture. Now tried tradition has always stated use oak chips etc but now how would Peppermint Box go for the chips to give a real aussie flavour. I do have a few of those trees on my property and the one near the house has a 10' trunk easily. A couple of times after branchs have come down cutting the wood shows just how nice this hardwood is and as far as burning the logs it's on par with red gum.

I'll take a couple of pic's of my pot when I do my next batch and on seeing a parrot for the first time I just have to make one to fit on my still. Also once I have a good design down pat I can make a few of them and sell them for a good price if others that don't have a parrot and doesn't have access to machinery to make a good one. It will be interesting to get some feedback on my pot still design too as that could also be made easily.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby APLF » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey mate
Welcome, I'm only new myself and have found its a great site to look around at with lots of different ideas. Pop your pics up its always good to see different idea designs
APLF
APLF

equipment: 50lt SS boiler with reflux and pot attachments

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Hello Bryan,

I'm a Kiwi, don't hold it against me :)
aliced

Return to Welcome Centre