Hello!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello!

Postby Nanodistiller » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 am

I am JC aka NanoDistiller,

I enjoy the Aussie site in comparison to most of the US Sites. I like your views on still building.

I run a stainless pot still, a 2" stainless reflux and a small dual purpose stainless column. Will be building a hybrid reflux/fuel still soon.
The can be strapped to 13.5 and 15.5 gallon beer kegs. I have a 55 gallon stainless drum that can be utilized as well.

I ferment anything I can get my hands on. I do like wheat whiskey and brandy derived from jelly and preserves.

I perform research in my real day job on alcoholic beverages at a University. Not a bad gig! I take my work home with me.
I'm also a huge rugby fan.
Nanodistiller

equipment: 15.5 gal Pot still, 31 gal reflux, 3 gal min dual purpose.

Re: Hello!

Postby Frothwizard » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:55 am

Welcome mate. Sounds like you've already had a look around. Keep on keeping on.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:37 am

Welcome to the forum, some photos of your set up would be nice to see... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Hello!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:08 am

Welcome mate, what are your results like with using jam for brandies? Never tried anything other than real fruit.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:31 am

Welcome to the forum mate.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby StormWolf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 am

Welcome m8!

Nanodistiller wrote:I perform research in my real day job on alcoholic beverages at a University. Not a bad gig! I take my work home with me.
I'm also a huge rugby fan.

Yeh man that sounds like a real sweet gig... now when you say 'Rugby' are you talking 'League' :music-deathmetal: or 'Union' :puke-huge: ?
StormWolf

Location: South Burnett - That's in Qld for all you Mexicans & Westies
equipment: Still Looking ... Looking Still

(pun intended)

Postby Nanodistiller » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 am

We all know union is just dressed up football (soccer). :violence-smack:

Im starting to dig the 7's play too.

Yes jelly brandy is an interesting thing. I was able to obtain 10 pound cans of apricot preserves. Use 2 cans in 5 gallons of water. Hit it with pectic enzyme to break the pectin down in the jelly. Let it set 24 hours and then pitch on a polyculture of yeasts.
Nanodistiller

Postby Smbjk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 am

:text-+1: to the photos mate and welcome you will have lots of fun and learn heaps
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Nanodistiller, welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Hello!

Postby Dusty_ben » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:56 am

I'm new here to jc. Good to see this forum
Is attracting attention from the home of moonshineing. Makes me realise this is a great place for learning. Pics would be great to. Haha.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby crow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:57 am

Welcome here bud. Given that your wash is for distilling and not wine do you think its important to use a pectinase to break down the jelly. Just thinking if a portion of the jelly consists of gelatine the pectinase will have little effect and breaking down pectin will likely result in an increased production of methanol . I realize this can be removed with good cuts but a larger faction would likely result in the lost of some hearts due to smearing
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Nanodistiller » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm

The preserve does contain very large chunks of fruit it is a preserve yes it needs some help. Methanol isn't that big of a deal according to the tests Ive run in the lab. People worry about methanol too much, don't drink diet coke if you are worried. Our research shows the body metabolizes down into methanol. Fun stuff. Pay attention to cuts and temperatures and have a handy gas chromatography in your lab life is good. I don't deal with fore shots and heads its good to clean instruments with and preserve insects for the field collection. Stick it an alcohol lamp. Put it to good use.

Right now Im dialing in corn washes looking at free amino nitrogen levels for optimal yeast performance and lowering the indications of yeast stresses.
Nanodistiller

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Welcome aboard mate, I reckon there would be more than a few of us interested to see some results from your lab comparing home made to commercially bought, but that can wait for another thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 am

Welcome mate
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Return to Welcome Centre