G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day

Postby Lowdown » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi all, been lurking around doing some reading and thought it was time to introduce myself, looks like a great aussie based forum. I've done a little home brewing but am totally new to spirits, and currently totally baffled! I know I want a reflux to make clear spirits, but not quite sure where to start. Although I usually love to make everything (and will no doubt have a crack in the future) I'm really time poor at the moment so building a still is out for now. I guess I'm looking to purchase something simple to get me started, any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. On the weekend I walked into two different shops hear in Melbourne and each shopkeeper shoved a different system in my face, one the pure distilling reflux, and the other the Artisan copper condenser, and each said the other was no good! :doh: came home more confused than when I started!
Looking forward to learning it all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers,
Aaron
Lowdown

equipment: 2" pot still & 2" boka
Keg boiler

Re: G'day

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Don't buy a brew shop rig until you have seen what else is on offer.

Check out the 5 star shop if you like stainless or have a look at JayDs creations if you like copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Muppet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 pm

G'day mate there's a cuple of guys here that could build you a still to suit your needs, have a look in the commercial section, I'd recommend them over a shop bought still ;)
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby SBB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Welcome to confusion city, I would suggest you spend a few days reading posts about different stills and what they do before committing your self to any particular type. There is a lot to learn and what you think you may want today might have changed a lot a few months down the track.
I think there are a couple of good posts in the beginners section on different still types and the jobs they do
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi mate and welcome here. look it might pay for you to mention the type of product you would like to end up with,and advise can be better afforded to you. Those two stills you were offered are for making a neutral spirit and may well not be what your after. if you wanted something simple and cheap to make say whiskey rum or brandy then a simple potstill on a keg is most definitely the way forward, your out lay wasn't much and when it comes to to upgrade its probably going to be the easiest to off load (oh yeah nice to see another from down the road turn up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Smbjk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Gday mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: don't rush into buying anything you may regret. I almost bought a air still before I found this site and thank god I didnt. Jayd would be a good person to contact for a reflux and mac for ya bubblers. Take your time mate you want to get something your totally happy with so you can use it for ages :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

G'day Lowdown,as others have said, don't buy a shop still. All they want is your money. There are members here who can build you a better still for a better price. Just let us know what type of spirits you want to make. As for something simple to get started,I started with a 19 litre home made pot still that sits on the stove.
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby Lowdown » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome all. Doing lots of reading through the beginners stuff, it's slowwwwly sinking in :)
Vodka and Gin are what I really like to make right now.
Lowdown

equipment: 2" pot still & 2" boka
Keg boiler

Postby Smbjk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm

If you want to make vodka got the reflux. A simple 2" boka will definitely see you well. And don't forget the famous tpw ( tomato paste wash ) with good cuts you wiil make a fantastic neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Return to Welcome Centre