Just saying hi!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Just saying hi!

Postby ARC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello

I have just recently got into the art of distilling and thought is was time to say hi after a couple a weeks of intensive reading of posts and gathering heaps of information. Heaps of great stuff out there, the glossary is in valuable ( it took me a while to find that).

I got an off the shelf copperhead reflux still a last week and did a turbo express wash in 36 hours and distilled the after clearing - in total this took 4 days from nothing to drinking. 1 litre of the spirit was very smooth (after diluting and carbon filtering) the remaining 1.5 litres was not so good, but still drinkable.

I have 2 lots of TPW on the go now, they seem to be taking a long time, they are coming up to 2 weeks now on Saturday and still seem to be going strong and hoping that it will be ready by the weekend but don't think they will be

My experience is in brewing science and fermentation (have been out of it for a while now), and keen to experiment with different yeasts. I am very surprised to see bakers yeast used so much and have used it in the TPWs i have going and keen to see the results. Using bakers yeast is a big no in the beer brewing industry as this can give off flavours. I have read a number of posts in the yeast section, but keen to know what yeasts do people use or have found to be the best in natural washes and why? is it worth getting Wyeast or White labs yeast ( i see some of these claim to get 25%) or waste of money etc? What are the optimal temps if this makes a difference?
ARC

equipment: Copperhead Reflux Still

Re: Just saying hi!

Postby Linny » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:51 pm

bakers yeast gives a cleaner finish for neutral washes since it uses strength in numbers to make its final product. I reckon that a longer cooler fermentation 18-25*c will give a bigger hearts cut, than the same yeast running at 30*C ... i think both generate the same amount of alcohol but the 30*C fermentation will obviously finish faster ... i think this is the same effect that turbo's adhere to... its not that they're shit .... it's just that theyre designed to finish so fast that it creates too many other compunds.

If your talking about whiskey bourbon mashes then i reckon that safale commercial yeast are worth their weight in gold since bakers yeast doesnt like going past gen #5 before giving off flavours
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Sam. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Bushy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey ARC :wave:
Looks like you have the scope pointed in the right direction. Welcome.
Your still will give you a good start and you can go from there. You never mentioned what yr preferred drink is mate ?
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Just saying hi!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome aboard, no one here ever went back to turbo yeast (which was basically invented to make fuel).
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby JayD » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:01 am

Welcome to the forum.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Return to Welcome Centre