G'day everyone

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day everyone

Postby modul8 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:27 am

hi all.
I've been lurking here for a while, absorbing as much as I can but thought it was time to introduce myself.
I'm in my mid 40's (sounds old when I say that :-( ) living in the South West of WA.

I've been stilling off and on for about 5 years but only using a small reflux still and a very simple pot still.
I've made a semi decent UJSSM and some passable neutral but I'm getting ready to step into the world of bubblers.

I've been scabbing as much suitable copper as I can get my hands on, finally getting a few small pieces of old beat up 4" I thought would do in a pinch when a 1.8m length of virgin 6" fell in my lap for $100. happy days :happy-partydance: . now I am going to be planning and hopefully building over the Christmas/new years break.

my metal working skills are weak but love to learn so am looking forward to the challenge. I'll apologize in advance for the many stupid questions I'll be asking over the next few weeks but hope to become a part of obviously friendly and knowledgeable community here.

cheers
mod
modul8

equipment: almost a 4 plate 4" bubbler

Re: G'day everyone

Postby JayD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:41 am

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft: A big build for your first time, I wish you sucess with your build. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby modul8 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks JayD. I have a few bits of clean 3" laying around so may make a 3 to practice.
modul8

equipment: almost a 4 plate 4" bubbler

Postby SBB » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 pm

modul8 wrote:my metal working skills are weak but love to learn so am looking forward to the challenge. I'll apologize in advance for the many stupid questions I

Welcome to the forum Modul, Copper is a very easy metal to work with minimal tools and experience. Read as much as you can and ask plenty of questions and you will do Ok. These things are time consuming to to build , but not that hard. That old beat up 4 inch should be perfect for making your plates, just anneal it and get it nice n flat first.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Smbjk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Good luck mate and have fun. Just make sure you have a good heat source for soldering 6" that size will suck alot of heat
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby bt1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:27 am

Welcome bloke,

a 6" build will be a nice job to do. take your time, ask if your not sure and really enjoy it cos it's very rewarding to do.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:33 am

Welcome to the forums mate.

You're going to want that 3" pipe for the top and shotgun of your 6" bubbler ;-)

Looking forward to seeing the build! :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to Welcome Centre