Hello to All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello to All

Postby jordan57 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:18 pm

I have been stilling for 3 years. I basically have only used a pot still, and am ready to expand to something better for neutrals. This hobby has really expanded in the states in the last two years. Most people here seem to go with propane gas. It seems everyone there seems to go electric. I have just switched to electric myself and am in process of building a controller. I think the electric is much more controllable.

I hope to learn much from a new perspective here. It seems as most of you have been doing this much longer than I. I haven't got to lurk here much as of yet, and I'm curious to see what kind of recipes are in use in your neck of the woods. Most of what I make are sugar washes and sweet grain whiskies. Actually what I mainly use is Corn, Oats, Barley, and Molasses so I guess it may technically be a Rum?

I also am curious to see some of your stills as well. I will be glad to see the pictures now. I have looked at your site, but had trouble registering, and had to contact an Administrator (Mcstill) for assistance, and want to thank him for getting me going.

Hope everyone has a pleasant holiday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jordan57

equipment: pot still, gas and electric

Re: Hello to All

Postby Brendan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Welcome Jordan :greetings-waveyellow:

That's a nice little milk can (is that what you call them?) pot still. Looks like the perfect equipment for the style of whiskey (/rum) you've been making. Unfortunately, upgrading to neutrals usually means bigger, more expensive or complicated equipment...or you could just run through your existing still quite a few times.

Good work on the electric conversion too...I can see the benefits of propane, but I feel the possible risks (no matter how much you mitigate them) far outweigh any disadvantages of electric elements :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck with your future endeavours.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Smbjk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:24 am

Hi jordan. Welcome mate and lovely looking still mate, looks like a swans neck :handgestures-thumbupleft: also love the milk can, how many litres is it. You could make yourself a simple reflux still ( boka, vm )

viewforum.php?f=8 here is a link to the reflux section with plenty of info if your interested
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Sam. » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 am

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby booma » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:01 am

Greetings Jordan57

Sounds like you are fermenting grains and molasses together.
How does it come out?

I have experimented with the idea but have only tried it in a drink. I found the rum flavour more powerful than the subtle whiskey.
What ratio of grain to molasses are you using?

I started calling it a bourum or a rumbon, brum is a bbc cartoon.

cheers
booma

equipment: I use a friend's 4 plate bubbler on a 50l electric boiler.

Postby JayD » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Welcome Jordan... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby bt1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:01 am

welcome bloke,

what I mainly use is Corn, Oats, Barley, and Molasses so I guess it may technically be a Rum?

I'd be interested in a recipe for a grain/molasses rum it a cross over and not the norm round here...

enjoy!
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Welcome Centre