Hello from sweltering South Australia

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from sweltering South Australia

Postby 1pot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi a newbie here not sure what Iam doing as far as making spirits but I would like to get a still and have a shot.
I am considering buying a t500 or a spirit maker still I am looking for any feedback on the pros and cons of these stills if posible.
Drifta its + 40 here in my town today I live in the cooler part of the state .
Regards 1pot
1pot

equipment: A 2inch boka and 50 litr keg

Re: Hello from sweltering South Australia

Postby JayD » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft: What type of drink do you like ? this will help us guide you to the apropriate type of still.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby 1pot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 am

Sorry for the lack of info,I like a whisky now and then but all my relatives who I no doubt will be supplying drink everything from whisky to madura so I recon a pot still will be out of the question. Thats why I was looking at the T500 or the spiit maker they look the easiest for a newby to start with.
1pot
1pot

equipment: A 2inch boka and 50 litr keg

Postby Smbjk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:11 am

Welcome pot. I would recommend a reflux still if thats whatoyou are after to make a neutral spirit then flavor. If you are good with your hands a 2" - 3" reflux would be the way to. The boka style or vm style are quite easy to make and will only require a keg boiler which you can run on gas or electricity with a few mods.

I started with a 2" boka and keg booiler on gas cost me under $200 to start up and within a week was producing 95% pure alcohol.

Just remember there are so many still out there that claim to do amazing things but few of them do. Watch out for the ebay still can be quite hit and miss. As for the hbs stills I have never had one but many on this site have and have had successful results with them but for the price you pay you could make something twice as good for probably less.

Best of luck deciding which way you want to go but please use the help of the forum to make the best informed decision that you can eveyone here is always happy to help. If you do go down the hbs still road please please please dont be talken into the turbo path as you are going to fork out $600 large to buy their still then be told to buy a life long comitment to buy turbo as it is the best stuff then they will ask you to buy a filter etc etc :angry-banghead: make tomato paste wash :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheap as chips and possible the best neutral you will ever make and no need to filter with the necessay cuts and the added bonus no hangover :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck bud you have come to the right place :D

Tomato paste wash
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8

Guide to cuts
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby bt1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:14 am

Welcome 1pot,

+1 smb comments, take your time, hold onto your cash until you truly know what it is you want to make and the still then becomes a natural choice really.

If u get stuck find stuff in Adelaide give us a yell.

Enjoy the learning curve
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Welcome Centre