Hi from NZ

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from NZ

Postby George.bryant.nz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:03 am

Hello everyone,

Have been referred to join this board by Teddysad, was using homedistiller.org forums but decided to make a change.

I am a novice distiller with a bit of experience basically only using turbo yeasts and flavor essences. Used to use a still spirits air still but made the change to a copperhead dual boiler that I have pot and reflux heads for.

Recently brewed a tpw but I didn't quite understand the distilling process of this wash until Teddysad ran me through the correct process.

I have experience brewing beer and cider too.

Look forward to learning from you guys and taking part in discussions.

George
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Re: Hi from NZ

Postby JayD » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:19 am

Welcome to the forum George... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Brendan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:14 am

G'day George :greetings-waveyellow:

You're lucky being directed to here, the more information the better, and you'll learn far more than you'll need here :D

Hope you enjoy the hobby once you get right into it.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:53 am

Kiaora George,
Sounds like your on the right track with your distilling, what drinks do you want to make?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Teddysad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:58 am

Glad to see you found it
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Smbjk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:28 am

Welcome mate. How did you like the tpw difference. My bett is you were quite surprised :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Sam. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 am

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What are you using for copper fermenters? Old hot water services? :think:

Edit: just reread it and I assume it is coopers plastic fermenters :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Chips Molasses » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:25 am

Welcome!
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby George.bryant.nz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 am

I have always just made plain spirits and added flavour essence bottles. Although the taste of the distilled product from using turbos never seemed very nice, the airstill might not have helped either.

Am wanting to get into making whisky from grains. The mrs likes fruity vodkas and blue curaco.

The first tomato wash that I put through my new reflux still didn't turn out too well. The directions that came with the still only told me to chuck the first 50ml, I didn't take any cuts at all either.

Teddysad has helped me out recently by advising how I should run the TPW through the Pot Still and then through the Reflux still once I have enough to run. Last night I put down 2 x 25l TPW to ferment away, I would've done 3 but there is still a Turbo in the other fermenter :oops:
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby George.bryant.nz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 am

Pic of the relux head on the boiler:

georstill.png

TPW (not very interesting):

tpw.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JayD on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed facebook links and uploaded photos to server.
George.bryant.nz

Postby Smbjk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 am

Hey bud nice pics but I hope you are not collecting in a plastic jug :scared-eek: :naughty: might want to change that to a class collection vessel and also change the collection hose to copper or ss.
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby George.bryant.nz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks for the tip, the plastic jug is from the home brewing shop but since you suggest it i will change to a glass collection jug. Probably mason jars as I really need to practise taking cuts.

If I change to a copper collection hose, what should I use to connect it to the alcohol output on the still? I mean, rubber connector? Copper (if I can find it...) or what?
George.bryant.nz

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 pm

George.bryant.nz wrote:Thanks for the tip, the plastic jug is from the home brewing shop but since you suggest it i will change to a glass collection jug. Probably mason jars as I really need to practise taking cuts.

If I change to a copper collection hose, what should I use to connect it to the alcohol output on the still? I mean, rubber connector? Copper (if I can find it...) or what?

:text-+1:

I have a T500 with a plastic collection hose and would also love to know what to replace it with :think:

Any ideas Gurus? ^:)^
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Brendan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:
George.bryant.nz wrote:Thanks for the tip, the plastic jug is from the home brewing shop but since you suggest it i will change to a glass collection jug. Probably mason jars as I really need to practise taking cuts.

:text-+1:

I have a T500 with a plastic collection hose and would also love to know what to replace it with :think:

Any ideas Gurus? ^:)^

What's the output consist of?

It just looks like 1/2" copper pipe...but I'm assuming it would be slightly more elaborate than that?
Brendan

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Gday Brendan,

Mate, its a ss outlet that has a "6mm beverage safe" plastic collection tube that fits tightly over it. :sad:

Any ideas as to what i can replace the plastic with?

20140109_04_01.JPG

20140109_01.JPG

Cheers

Woodsy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby SX170 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:47 am

I replaced the hose on my T500 with a short piece of 1/4" copper tube.
It is the same diameter as the outlet on the T500 so I soldered a 1/4" socket on the end. (available from refrigeration supplies)
I slips over nice and tight and you can bend the tube wherever you want so it the end sits over your collection jar (self supporting)
I will take a pic tonight and post it up if you like. Its a bit agricultural but does the job.
If I hadnt found this site I would probably still be using plastic tubes/containers as well.

Cheers.
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Postby Brendan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 am

SX170 wrote:I replaced the hose on my T500 with a short piece of 1/4" copper tube.
It is the same diameter as the outlet on the T500 so I soldered a 1/4" socket on the end. (available from refrigeration supplies)
I slips over nice and tight and you can bend the tube wherever you want so it the end sits over your collection jar (self supporting)
I will take a pic tonight and post it up if you like. Its a bit agricultural but does the job.
If I hadnt found this site I would probably still be using plastic tubes/containers as well.

Cheers.

Yep, if it's the same diameter as 1/4" pipe...joining some pipe with a 1/4" coupling would be the go. Think you can solder it on? Once you've got a straight piece coming out, could throw a 90 deg elbow on with another bit of pipe to bring your collection down to the level of your container (made of glass or SS ;-) ).

If you're going to do this, I suggest having a good read over the stuff on the forum for soldering copper to stainless. At that size, it will be relatively easy, but still need to know what you're doing.

If you're not set up for soldering, cost would be:
* Propane + torch head = $25
* Solder (Bernzomatic or Aquasafe lead-free) = $10ish
* Ezi-weld 801 flux (for stainless to copper) = $8ish
(For copper to copper, the Bernzomatic flux (blue label) is good).
Brendan

Postby SX170 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 am

I silver brazed the coupling on to the copper tube. I didnt braze onto the stainless bit on the T500 though cos I think there may be seals and such in there that wont like the heat.
I dont get any leaking when I just slide it over the stainless spigott.
If you dont have the gear to solder or dont want to buy it, find a local plumber or refrigeration tech and I am sure they will do it for you. Bout 30 seconds work.

Cheers.
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Postby Fatherjack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi George

I've upgraded from the T500 now, but this what I did, bout as agricultural you can get I reckon :laughing-rolling: but it worked well

Image[/URL]
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby Brendan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Fatherjack wrote:Hi George

I've upgraded from the T500 now, but this what I did, bout as agricultural you can get I reckon :laughing-rolling: but it worked well

Image[/URL]

That works too :))
Brendan

Next

Return to Welcome Centre