Hi from Canberra

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Canberra

Postby dubbadan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Hey Aussie Distillers. I'm a keen all-grain beer brewer and am looking at branching into spirit making (which I'm sure will annoy my wife even more - *shrug*)

I've been doing a bit of reading from this forum among other sources. I was just looking at the newbies corner and was interested in the tips section in the "Beginners Guide" post - one question, just to get it clear: does the "heat distressing" idea simply involve adding a small amount (capful) of syrup to "jar" of 65%, following the process stated then adding the mixture to your final product?

Cheers,

Dan.
dubbadan

equipment: None yet

Re: Hi from Canberra

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Heat distressing is as it says, heating up the spirit on age to advance the aging process to a degree :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby dubbadan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 pm

I just wanted to add: I am mostly interested in making whiskey, for now anyway. In my shed I have an old 10L pressure cooker and a counterflow chiller that I hope to put together in some kind of still-like manner.
dubbadan

Postby dubbadan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:22 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Heat distressing is as it says, heating up the spirit on age to advance the aging process to a degree :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But is it just adding a small amount to a larger volume final product or does the idea apply to the whole final volume?
dubbadan

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:31 pm

dubbadan wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But is it just adding a small amount to a larger volume final product or does the idea apply to the whole final volume?

The whole lot, it's usually done in small batches. Don't want to derail your welcome thread but distressing anything is a short term solution in my opinion, nothing can replicate proper aging :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluess57 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:44 am

Hi Dan
Good to have another local onboard.
See if you can source a beer keg for a boiler instead of messing around
with pressure cooker
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Newbrew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:27 pm

G'Day dubbadan,

As a fellow Canberran Welcome to a really useful knowledgeable and friendly forum.

The Guys here know what there on about, so do some research and you may change your plans on that boiler yet.
Like Blue said the better way to go will be to convert an old Keg and we've plenty places to see about em round here.
(but if you have trouble shoot me a PM)

NewBrew :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Newbrew

equipment: The First Sold 5SD Mac 4 SSG - 6" Pacemaker,
Big Ass 5SD Boiler,
5SD Elements With Guards
5SD Carter Head
Custom Built Dual Controller

Postby tipsy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:01 pm

G'day :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Petulance » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Gidday Dubba

Just returned to Brissy from the national capital... visiting the 3 year old grandson (and his parents)

Next time we go down there, I'll drop you a line. I'd like to meet a new distiller .... just like me.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Petulance » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Gidday Dubba

Just returned to Brissy from the national capital... visiting the 3 year old grandson (and his parents)

Next time we go down there, I'll drop you a line. I'd like to meet a new distiller .... just like me.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Return to Welcome Centre