Another Newbie + Question.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another Newbie + Question.

Postby Grump3 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi,
I'm a retired sparky on the NSW Mid North Coast.
New to distilling but have been making fruit based wine as well as beer for over 10 years & now mainly looking to make liqueurs from a neutral alcohol base.
About 5 years back a friend offered to make me a stainless pot still so I prepared a 20 L wash from sugar & some kind of special yeast (not Turbo) after which I stored it in flagons in my wine cellar. Unfortunately the friend then moved interstate & never completed my still.

On a recent visit to a local home brew store I spotted a complete T500 reflux kit selling for $750 which renewed my interest. but the price a little too steep for my pocket.
A search on Ebay that evening produced the same kit for $599 + $40 delivery so I took the plunge.

First run was completed using that 5yr old wash which to my surprise turned out OK & produced acceptable results from the essences supplied in my kit.

Have now done a 2nd wash using turbo yeast & the supplied carbon additive but find that too messy for my liking. Is the carbon additive a requirement when using turbo or can it be omitted?
Grump3

equipment: Still Spirits T500

Re: Another Newbie + Question.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi Grump and welcome to the forum.
To answer your question, Yes. What the Brew shops do is sell you a bunch of stuff to clean up a crap product.
We here at Aussie like to make a decent product which doesn't require cleaning up....and therefor costs a lot less ;-)
try This
good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby haze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Yeh turbo yeast on a t500 still you will definently need to carbon filter to get something close to neutral. I make neutral too and i only make TPW (tomato paste wash) using Lowans bakers yeast (from woolworths) and it works great for me.

I still filter though, just to clean it up a lil more. Someone on here reccomended using coconut activated carbon so im trying that now. Its like $30 for 2kg which will probably last me 10 years.

Being good with your hands you will probably want to keep an eye out for 50L kegs.. you will probably end up building your own. Otherwise they are great for booze storage

I'm still a noob and ive gotten plenty good advice here so stick around :handgestures-thumbupleft:
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby Bushy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:52 am

Hey Grump :greetings-waveyellow:
Welcome to the wonderful world of home distillation. Enjoy the ride mate.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Dominator » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:20 am

Welcome mate. As above, the TPW is a great place to start, cheaper and will give you a nice clean result. Also have a read through the Newbie section, there is plenty on info there on double distilling and 'Cuts' that will help you produce an even better product.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:07 am

Hi Grump.
Good to have another MNCoaster :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Definitely cave a go at the Tomato paste wash....as a wine maker you will appreaciate the clarity of the product...don't get hung up on the tomatoe flavour.
It comes out absolutely tasteless....definitely no carbon filtering required

Pm me if you want...you are more than walcome to come around and sample some of my neutral .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Grump3 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Kimbo wrote:try This
good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Kimbo.
Yes, the TPW sounds promising. Have already started 2x25 L batches this afternoon.
Grump3

Postby Grump3 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Hi Grump.
Pm me if you want...you are more than walcome to come around and sample some of my neutral .

Thanks for the offer but I'm well south of you near Taree.
My T500 kit came with a carbon filter cartridge/twin container setup that I've used on my first 2 runs.
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Grump3

Postby Grump3 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi Haze,
Yes, I've been using my carbon filter on the end product but wasn't too happy in using the satchel of black messy carbon wash additive supplied in my kit.
My initial turbo wash had started with a vengeance, frothed up & spat black sticky muck out through the air lock making one hell of a mess over everything within range (me included.)
The T500 is presently nearing the end of it's final turbo wash run as I type. It's likely to be only TPW from here on!
Grump3

Postby SBB » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Grump3 wrote:My initial turbo wash had started with a vengeance, frothed up & spat black sticky muck out through the air lock making one hell of a mess over everything within range (me included.)

G'day Grumpy,Welcome to the forum
Ferments don't always go exactly to plan,If you find that upsetting best you stay away from rum washes and molasses :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby haze » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Yeh i know the carbon satchels you are talking about. Im using granules and i pour my neutral through it leaving the granules in the filter. They can be used again and again.

This is similar. Mine is a bit coarser though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5kgs-Activat ... 19d9dd5460

My filter rig is ghetto spec. 2 metres of 3/4" copper tubing with one end bashed flat and i drilled a 1mm hole to let liquid out. Other end is a stainless cooking pot with a hole drilled in in an soldered on to the copper. Just filled the tube with carbon and pour my booze in the pot.

But yeh, TPW does come out clean if you do your cuts right. Its not really necessary
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby Grump3 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 am

haze wrote:This is similar. Mine is a bit coarser though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5kgs-Activat ... 19d9dd5460

Thanks for this link. Will keep it in mind for future experiments.
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Grump3

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Here is a good quick read about carbon filtering

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1888
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Return to Welcome Centre