My name is Zombie,

Say Hi and introduce yourself

My name is Zombie,

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:07 am

Hello to everyone,
My name is Zombie, and I am a straight up mess! The pattern of my life is I never leave well enough alone,this gets at its worse when there are sleeping dogs around.

I bring this up to qualify what I am about to tell you all... I have been Pot Stillin' for a long time, and have only made one recipe... Scotch.
Just like working on the water (boats) I love making hooch BUT I have hit the wall. I am looking for a new way to do what I do.
This is what brings me here... A new way to do an old thing.

I posted around some new concepts in still designs until one idea "stuck". A column within a column. YUP! A plated column that equals roughly 90" x 2.5" but has an overall height (including boiler, and condenser) of 60" made for producing Vodka, and Gin.
I would like to share my thoughts on the idea, and hash out all of the variables in making this work.

I was attempting to build a horizontal column but found to many flaws or hurdles to overcome so the idea formed to make an outer stripping column, that contains an inner rectifying column. Stripping, and finishing can be done in a single run saving both time, and energy. The bonus is I do not need to raise the roof line or stand on a ladder to service such a unit.

I would like to share my thoughts on the idea, and hash out all of the variables in making this work. Again to qualify this idea, and my experience... I know NOTHING about plate distillation, running a plated still, or really anything other that building, and running pot stills. That is why I bring this idea into the daylight. To get it built, and running.
There is a prior builder of the concept. His patent drawings, and article are what I am basing my concept on. With the help of craft distillers that have hands on experience I am certain this build is not as daunting as it may appear.

I have a few CAD drawings of the concept (my own) as well as the info from the original design. If anyone is interested in brainstorming this with me I would be VERY grateful. Of course this is a concept build, and the goal is proof of concept so opinion, and experience are key to working this idea into a build.

I have the materials on hand to begin an 8" outer/3" inner column, sitting on a 35 gallon boiler running a 20 gallon charge. Building is the easy part for me so if anyone is willing to throw this idea around, and try to make it real...I will be more that happy to post up the drawings, and ideas I have so far.

Long intro... Thanks Guys! Zombie
zombie

Re: My name is Zombie,

Postby Smbjk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:14 am

Welcome zombie :handgestures-thumbupleft: first things first post a pic of your cad drawing and this will give everyone an eyes view of your ideads :handgestures-thumbupleft: there are many types of stills out there but one of best tried and proven stills for speed and efficiency is the bubble plate which a shit load of guys have tweaked to perfection on this site :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You will get a lot of help and adive from here. Look forward to seeing your drawings :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 am

Welcome mate, best be starting a build thread so you can get some feedback on your design. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also be interested in your scotch recipe :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:15 am

$_1.JPG Scale Dwg.jpg
Thank you Smbjk!
That is what I was hoping to hear. I'll post what I have here, and if it is appropriate I will re-post them under a build thread.
I do have a hard time expressing my thoughts clearly (same for the drawings) so please keep in mind this is all a thought process right now. Everything can be tweaked/changed to make this work. I feel the concept is close to building... I just need input from the guys who know how it all works. Thanks again!

I also have the original design, and details in a jpeg file to post up. I can do that if anyone thinks this is worth pursuing here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zombie

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome mate, best be starting a build thread so you can get some feedback on your design. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also be interested in your scotch recipe :whistle:

Thanks Sam_and_Liv!
I'll post up a build thread tonight to give you all some of the details on my thought process to date.
I have to give credit to members of Modern Distiller, and Home Distiller for getting me this far. Lot's of black eyes, and unseen truths have come over the past couple months to get this idea to form. Hopefully it is close enough to reality that I can start putting some of the bits together.

As for scotch??? easy. I'll post my method in the recipe section. I have a LARGE Irish/Scottish family, and we all enjoy it. :music-deathmetal:
zombie

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:40 am

Welcome Zombie .there's some good people and stuff around here that may help.

I am interested in your idea .It looks like a concentric version of a side by side colmn still .Check out what Blondes doing Here

At this point in the thread he was proposing to rework his side by side and add the re-boiler section
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:00 am

You hit the nail on the head Yumyrum.

There are several ways of injecting either vapor or liquid from one column to another, as well as places to inject it.
That is one of the concepts I need to "hash out" with the smart folks. I think the goal is creating a continuous process where you do not have to repeat actions within the column(s). Then finding a way to remove the spent wash without it diluting the secondary charge. I think I have both of these issues solved... But I have been wrong Mannnyyyy times before. I'm looking forward to this!

I bookmarked that link to go thru it all after dinner. Thank You! :wave:
zombie

Postby Bushy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 am

Crikey,
Welsome aboard Zombie. :greetings-waveyellow:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks Bushy!
zombie

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Awesome start to your time here!

Welcome!!! I'm very much looking forward to your posts!

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Thank you Mech.
I hope I don't wear out that welcome!
What I can say for SURE is you all have a nice thing going on here. Friendly, and willing to help.
Thanks!
zombie

Return to Welcome Centre