New to Stilling

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New to Stilling

Postby flamehawk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Evening Gents,
I'm new around here and learning much.

Looking for any advice on setting up. Want to purchase of the shelf as much as possible.

I do have a Beer Keg sitting there doing nothing and i'm sure it could be used so over to you gents.

I used to work with a bloke named Andrew that frequented this forum so is your reading this pipe up.

ian
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Re: New to Stilling

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:30 pm

G'day Ian, welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So where did you work with Andrew, wasn't on a mine site in WA was it ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Welcome ian.....recon that keg won't be wasted .
So what do you want to make ? If its Vodka to add essences to then a nice tall reflux column would ne the go.

Rums or whiskeys. A pot still heqd would be a great thing.One of these should be in the distillers kit anyway IMO.Even for stripping runs for a reflux still.
If you have short pockets then a bubler with packed section will cover all basses.

All will fit nicely on your keg as a boiler.jist add gas or preferably an element.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby flamehawk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Scotch or Bourbon would be fine with me.

I have about a grand to spend so i don't know if that's shallow pockets or not.

I have a work shop, lathe, mill, can silver solder.

I'd be happy to build something within reason. If you were starting out what would you build.
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:45 am

A G'note to spend. You picked the magic number... Everything costs about a grand today. Car tires, new front door for the house, trip to the Vet..

For Whiskey a beer keg, and 1/2 sized thumper will do you just fine. I think most guys are running electric nowadays, and I wholeheartedly agree with the crowd. You can build an electric control box for around 100.00 USD or buy on on line for about 200.00. Element, and fitting for about 25.00.

You're handy so making up the copper is straight forward. Attachments/fittings are all over the internet. Water cooling offers loads of options... Off the tap or recirculating systems are easy. I use a recirculating set up run off a small pond pump, evaporator from a central air conditioner, and an old chest freezer. It's all stuff I already had. That is all over kill for a beer keg still but just to give an example.

That G'note will have you sippin' hootch within a month if you bang right ahead.

Best of luck! Ps... If you're married DON'T tell her when you buy a new part for your rig. Trust me!
zombie

Postby backyard brewdog » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:57 am

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just try buy right the first time and that grand is all you'll ever need to spend
backyard brewdog

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:15 am

Unfortunately a grand isn't goong to go far...buying off the shelf and it will be gone very quickly.

Other than the still , you will need several fermenters large spoons or paint stirrers for your drill.
An element for your keg (prefered) or a gas burner. And if you go electric...a controller as well.If you go gas a High Pressure regulator.
Cooling tank and pump....and hoses.
For whiskeys and bourbans there is a simple method which you can do with the above or if you go all grain then you will need mashing equipment too....Anotherkeg with the top cut off , beer chiller etc.

Which doesn't leave much for the still.

If it was me at this stage I would make a pot still head for your keg.
A bubbler would be nice but off the shelf arond $1650 . .
Sonds like you have the workshop and skills to build one but I doubt there are many that have honestly been able to make one for under a grand

Not saying it can't ne done but if you do it in steps and watch your pennies you will be OK.
Example ..large fermenters from the brew shop look nice but you can large plastic storage tubs or old stainlesssteel wash tubs for 1/4 tje price....and do a similar job.
Yummyrum

Postby flamehawk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks guys,

I watched a video on how to punch the riser out of the keg. Might get around to that today.

Suggestions on getting a quality heater and regulator. I'm handy with a soldering iron so i can build that if required.

I did see some really cool glass windows on so you can look in and see what's going on. What are they called ?

I have heaps of copper pipe under the house of various sizes.

Ian
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 am

Picking parts depends on where you are.
Ebay is a good place to start for PWM's, and SSR,s.
Pulse width modulators or electronic speed controllers made for electric motors, and Solid state relays to handle switching an electric water heater element.

Using a beer keg you could go with 110v or 220v. 220 is always faster, and preferred IMHO. U.S. voltages make 1500 watts the largest you can go on 110v, and 5000 watt the largest readily available on 220v.
I buy elements from the local ACe hardware. The PWM/SSR's come from Ebay. Wiring, and connectors come from my Marine Supply vendors but you can get that stuff anywhere. The fitting for the heater element is from BFO. I bought the weld less kits but you can weld them on. Gasket material if needed should be expanded teflon.
http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/index.aspx
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Input-AC-220 ... 0959912565
http://www.epm.com/30_7833thick.htm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/moonautomation/ ... 7675.l2562

That's just all stuff to look at and get some ideas. The last link there has a seller that builds a nice controller for 199.00. A friend just bought his there, and so far so good.
Just to get your wheels turning...
zombie

Postby flamehawk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for the links.

I have spent most of the morning looking at different stills. Although some look awesome i want a simple build that will do the job. I can build a blinged up still later on.

Thoughts gents. cost, ease of construction, usability are all a factor
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 am

Using a beer keg you could go with 110v or 220v. 220 is always faster, and preferred IMHO. U.S. voltages make 1500 watts the largest you can go on 110v, and 5000 watt the largest readily available on 220v.

This is not applicable to this country, be careful when giving advice on electrical things here please.

A standard house powerpoint here is 240v - 10 AMPS - max 2400w

I also happen to know a fella who supplies elements & various stainless fittings to the distillers here and internationally ;-)

Oh here he is :))

5 star forum

5 Star store

electrical forum & the rules regarding that section

controller build

Suggest slowing down a little and having a look about :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 am

I completely understand.
I did state US voltages, and expressed the links were for "something to look at". I do understand someone could get killed if wrong placed advice is given or followed. Sometimes clear is not clear enough. I understand.
Just to be certain there will be NO issues I will stay out of electrical completely.

Besides all that I had no idea you sold all the goodies he needs. Sorry MacStill and sorry for sidetracking your thread IanMac.
zombie

Postby flamehawk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm

the 2" pot still looks like the way to go.

Simple build. Does anyone know if a parts list is available?
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:34 pm

ianmacgregor wrote:the 2" pot still looks like the way to go.

Simple build. Does anyone know if a parts list is available?

viewforum.php?f=7

that's in the stills section of the site, plenty of hints tips, design to dos and not to dos.

you may find your pot still in here.

note: there's also other types of stills just outside that threadline back one step in the forum.

index.php
and distilling it the sixth ( 6 ) grouping down.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:13 pm

If you really don't have much idea about distilling a pot still is the way to go.

If you spend some time reading up on different still types and their pros and cons you might be able to jump into a build yourself.

Pots are a simple design (though some overcomplicate things) and are easy to run. Seeing as you have 1k to get setup I will let you know what I did with my 1k.

Pot head $250 I think 8-}
Keg - Free
Fermenters- $20ea off gumtree x 6
Pump - $50
Hoses fitting etc - $30
the rest was spent on ingredients, lots and lots of sugar.

I made some bad choices and definitely could have saved a bit.

I used a small reservoir for cooling water and had to change to an IBC. The pump is still going strong. I was sick of shifting around 6 fermenters so I bought two 400L screw top barrels to bump up production.

If you are in Perth I can get you a clean, food grade IBC for $50.

Keep an eye on gumtree for old brewing equipment, some of this stuff comes up pretty cheap from time to time.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby flamehawk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I have checked the glossary and pot head is not listed. What is it?
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:41 pm

A 'pot head' is a pot still... Generally we refer to the 'still' as 2 parts; the boiler and the head...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Read thru some of the new posts/active topics. There are a few pot still threads active right now.
All of it can be done at home with basic tools. Maybe a few welded fittings if you want to get a more advanced rig for upgrades in the future but a basic pot still can be easily built in a few hours.

I mentioned upgrades because you will soon find out... Ohhhh! I gotta get me me of those, and that too. Wow! What does that do? Best to ya!
zombie

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi again Ian..sorry to keep coming back to this bit I just thought of several other things you need to factor into the budget.

Alcometer for testing ABV % of spirit..around $20-25
Hydrometer for checking fermentation ....$20-25
Themometer preferably a digital type for measuring fermenter temp ....$20-30
A digital pH meter for testing wash pH........not essential but handy.......$70

Several large glass vessels ....5 liter deijohns are excellent for aging on Oak.....$15-20 each
(lots of 2 liter sherry bottles are excellant for this too ...and cheap if you know someone that drinks lots of it)
Lots of glass jars atound 300-500ml for cut jars ....you need around 20-30.......can buy new...most just wash out jam jars.....beer stubbies also work...though a bit harder to use
Last edited by Yummyrum on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Hi again Ian..sorry to keep coming back to this bit I just thought of swveral other things you need to factor into the budget.

Alcometer for testing ABV % of spirit..around $20-25
Hydrometer for checking fermentation ....$20-25
Themometer preferably a digital type for measuring fermenter temp ....$20-30
Several large glass vessels ....5 liter deijohns are excellent for aging on Oak.....$15-20 each
(lots of 2 liter sherry bottles are excellant for this too ...and cheap if you know someone that drinks lots of it)

Yep :handgestures-thumbupleft: all that stuff too.

If you drink V8 juice these are perfect for ageing vessels. Also get your friends and family to keep all the <500ml jars for you - good for cuts, or if you drink beer just keep 50 or so stubbies to collect in (thats what I do)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Next

Return to Welcome Centre