G'day - belated Intro

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day - belated Intro

Postby corncob » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi to all from Wyndham - Thought I had better introduce myself after lurking around this awesome forum since last May. My name is Richard and in a previous lifetime I brewed beer, cider and 20-24% neutral wines as a pass time using HBS products. I bought an air still about 8 years ago for producing distilled water, but could not resist the temptation to produce a wash (Turbo) and run it through the air still. Drinkable but both disappointing and too time consuming running 4 ltr at at time.

My interest in home brewing was resurrected last autumn (can't remember what the trigger was). I acquired a reflux (CM) still, a 50 ltr keg and 2kW heater element and then, discovered this forum. Oops. Did that in the wrong order didn't I? Next purchase was 3 different lead testing kits! The good news tests were negative for lead on all visible joints and in the product. Output was 93% and the control while not easy, was nowhere as bad as I thought it might be. The heater element is not showing any signs of stress (yet).

After many hours reading on this and other forums (mainly this one) I decided to try building my own still. Looking at the various designs and the available copper on hand I made a VM still and a pot still. I'll add some photo's later I need to clean up my soldering first! Both stills are 2 inch and work reasonably well for me. The VM is producing 94% and the pot has only been used for distilled water so far.

Today I am starting off a TPW and also my first try at rum having bought some molasses (Bunderburg).

I am planning some changes as I am not totally happy with the current keg/heating system. I am also going to remake my reflux condenser as the first one I made has squashed a bit resulting in restricted water flow. I only had 3/16th tube which does not help. Water cooling is also being looked at. I am planning to switch to a tank and pump. I only have a 60 ltr water tank available at the moment and it is nowhere near big enough.

I cannot thank enough the members of this forum for all of the information contributed.

Stay safe

Richard
corncob

equipment: Keg + pot still and VM still

Re: G'day - belated Intro

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello Richard and thanks for the great intro, welcome aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Since you have a pump, and tank consider going with a radiator/evaporator set up. Some guys run a small fan if needed or you can pick a radiator from a junker complete with shroud, and 12v fans.
Just an option...
zombie

Postby corncob » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks Zombie. That is well worth looking into. Because of other interests, 12 volts at 20+ amps is readily available so a trip to a local breaker seems in order.
corncob

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:52 pm

sounds like quite a journey you have been on. its what makes the hobby so enjoyable.

The bunderburg molasses is very tasty (but was pricey here compared to stock feed). im yet to finish my rum, but each time i put down a wash i have a little taste and the wash is tasty!!

you will find many options for cooling on the forum. im sure you will find one that suits you- and adjust it to suit you even better!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby corncob » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Thank you for the welcome MacStill.

Hi Andy - I have no idea how cheap or expensive the molasses were. It is a 14Kg container of Bundaberg Refinery Molasses for $18.50. I didn't do much research on local sources, but did find a reference here for one supplier, I was in the area so called in and just bought one tub to see how I went. So far so good, just waiting for the temperature in the fermenter to drop below 30 deg so I can pitch the yeast. Going to browse the forum for more cooling ideas and pour a shot to sip!

Have a good one

R
corncob

Postby Kimbo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:30 pm

G'day Richard :greetings-waveyellow: great to have you here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:09 pm

whyndam - not too far away only about 25 mins.

Welcom mate.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:26 pm

corncob wrote:Hi Andy - I have no idea how cheap or expensive the molasses were. It is a 14Kg container of Bundaberg Refinery Molasses for $18.50.

oh my- its just under double that in perth :'(
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:55 am

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds like you are well under way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre