Noob Bere, 1st TPW.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Noob Bere, 1st TPW.

Postby Magoo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Big Hey to everyone, :greetings-waveyellow:

Firstly can a give a you all a massive hoorah for all the great info every one provides. I'm a noob to the distilling game, although I have been at it for about six months or so, and albeit with an Air Still, it suits my needs just fine for the moment given some constraints personally. I started down the usual Turbo path and achieved some reasonable result and it has been a great introduction to the sport, if you could call it that. After all, isn't sports meant to be fun and engaging.

It has only by reading, and reading, and reading, you get the picture... I have turned the corner and am starting to run my first TPW. Firstly, honestly, how much cheaper is this than running with the Turbo's and all the other garb that goes with it. And although it doesn't bother me that much, but the smell is pretty much negligible during a ferment as opposed to the Turbo. That's a win with the Mrs already. Secondly, this is such an easy recipe I see why you all say it's bullet proof. In saying that, I did have one small drama on the first wash as it stalled at 1040. I am using the Tried and Proven recipe found here. Easy fixed, gave it a stir, pitched some more yeast and it fired up again foaming like a rabid dog. All good in the end after 10 days with a FG of 990. Pretty bloody happy with that. :-D
Anyway, rambling here. Stripping in down now and getting about 40% on collecting 1200ml after discarding 50ml fores. Again, following the advice from here going the path Frank has suggested although with a little twist. Early days yet, but once it's all done am going to try some smoking chips/chunks as an exercise to what come of it. Have been doin' the oak bits and am pretty happy with that, experimenting with some supplemental additives at the same time. Have also been using vanilla been, currents, star anise, hazelnuts, cinnamon, cardomon and some others I can't remember right now, but they were in the Turbo's. I know, still rambling... :teasing-blah:
I anyone has any other suggestions on my methods, I am trying to attach my current process with the TPW with my first post, any comment will be appreciated and not go un-noticed. Again, it's a variation of Franks method. I'm a bit more of a visual person, hence the pretty diagram. The greyed out ABV% are still to finalized and are only speculative until the run has finished.

Also as a bit of a opener to the forum, I have also created an Wash ABV chart for my own quick easy reference. I've included it if it's any use to any one, or if there any errors, just let me know. It was done on excel with the best of my knowledge which can be a little murky at the deeper end. It's helped me so I hope of help to others...

Will post more when I get there with this run.

Thanks again to every one.

magoo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magoo

equipment: Air still

Re: Noob Bere, 1st TPW.

Postby Muppet » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:32 am

Hi mate welcome. I too started with the hbs turbo stuff and since switching to TPW and other washes I havnt looked back. I'm not very familiar with air stills but as I understand they are much like a pot still. Maby u could try a flavored wash too? My best results are the macwhisky, zaks cornflakes. Both winners in my book. There's plenty of helpful people around here. Enjoy ;)
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Noob Here, 1st TPW.

Postby Magoo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:50 am

Hey Muppet, thanx for the welcome. I have seen somewhere, think on this site, there is a Corn Flake recipe that I'm thinking of having a go at. Ahh, there it is in the T&P. Gonna have a good read and digest the info a bit more before jumping in. Has any one else tried it, any thing to watch out for. Maybe I should start a new thread when I get this started and start by giving all creds to Zak.
Magoo

Postby Magoo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:03 am

Oh, I should also give cred to Brian (YHB) for the diagrammatic idea. Not sure if he's on this site or another. Give cred where it's due I say.
Magoo

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:11 am

Magoo wrote:there is a Corn Flake recipe that I'm thinking of having a go at. Has any one else tried it, any thing to watch out for.

I have done this one mate (well close enough) and it's a good recipe, makes for a smooth drink.

Not really much to watch out for, but if you do generations make sure to adjust PH with dolomite or something similar to avoid the wash becoming too acidic which will slow your yeast down.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:11 am

Magoo wrote:Has any one else tried it, any thing to watch out for. Maybe I should start a new thread when I get this started and start by giving all creds to Zak.

Welcome Magoo,

there's already a chat thread on the CFW - like most T&P threads, there's the recipe thread which is locked - to keep it easy, then there is a chat thread for all things related to that recipe.

there's one for all T&P Recipes if im not mistaken, just have to look around.

ive done it for you though, here's the link to the CFW chat thread

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5190

anything to do with a CFW goes in there - any specific questions or non specific but related to CFW go here.

Enjoy.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Magoo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanx for the heads up, like I said I'm a noob and in more ways than one. Perused a lot of forums but never participated till this one so just getting a handle on things. My sincere apologies if I post in the wrong place but will get the jist eventually. Still working my round the site finding interesting pieces of info though. :smile:
Magoo

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 pm

no worries,

just before you do post a thread - bump in a quick search for the keywords you might find a thread form a long time ago and might have answers.

also think quickly of what it pertains to - go to the forum and select the right grouping.

ie. Newb corner, Recipe Dev or what have you :)

there's always the dunder pit for stuff if it doesnt fit into anything.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Return to Welcome Centre