Howdy Y'all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy Y'all

Postby wwbsox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:38 am

Just wanted to say hello. I have found this site and its members experience very helpful in planning my first still build.

I have almost all materials together for a modular 4" bubble plate build. Mainly interested in distilling single malt whiskies and bourbons.

I know some of y'all may not recommend this still for a first build, but I do have experience brazing and soldering. And plenty of patience. I plan on taking plenty of pictures of the build. So here are a couple to start.

I lucked out and received a 1 meter piece of 4" thick walled copper pipe, free, this got the wheels turning.

4 inch pipe.jpg

The second pic is after I took the pipe to the local high school and had the machine shop teacher cut it into 4 x 152 mm and 2 x 101mm.

4 inch cut.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. More to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wwbsox

equipment: Working on constructing my first still.

Re: Howdy Y'all

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 am

Welcome wwbsox,

Like you I have a love for the scotch and bourbon. For now I'm just gaining experience in neutrals and botanicals before moving on to the more exciting stuff :D

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:39 am

Welcome mate, might as well jump in the deep end, you would end up building one anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Petulance » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Gidday mate,

Build, build, build!

Once you start, stopping is a REAL problem. But it's a problem you'll love!

Search this forum for anything you would ever need to know about builds, mashes, methods, and ideas.

Life is short ... builds are fun ... and there's never enough time to try everything on here ... but give it your best shot.

I did, and now I wonder why I spent so many years not participating in this enthralling hobby.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby 1 2many » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

Welcome aboard mate good move on taking up the bubbler challenge you won't regret it and we all love to see plenty of copper parts being hand crafted into a work of art . Keep the pics coming. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Smbjk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Welcome mate your going to have some fun bud :handgestures-thumbupleft: best place for advice is here mate. Ask and post away :D oh did I mention pics pics pics
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby wwbsox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Thanks everyone, I know I will asking a lot of questions once I really get into this build.
wwbsox

equipment: Working on constructing my first still.

Return to Welcome Centre