Hello from South Africa and some brandy questions

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from South Africa and some brandy questions

Postby chrisbo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 am

Goeie dag aan almal.........Gday to all

New to the distilling art but have some experience with wine making. I am constructing 2 still heads that will be interchangeable from a double boiler pot (40 l in a 60 l pot) on propane burners that will also me self made. The first will be a pot still with a libieg and the second most likely a Boka for now, may change that later to a VM design.

Have read a lot so far and will continue to do so. Thanks in advance for all the advice I got from all the posts I read so far.

My main aim is brandy. Some really flavorful stuff.

And with this statement then some questions if I may?

Classical method as practiced all over is to take a reasonable quality young wine and use a pot still to make a brandy from that. From the home brewers/distillers perspective my question is the following.

What is the difference in quality of the end product if most variables are kept the same as much as possible and the only change is the wine, a young wine or and aged wine? (Young implying fermentation is completed and fine has been racked at least once, while aged means same as before but also left to age for 6 months or more)

Or am I chasing down a somewhat redundant path? Should I rather prepare a neutral and steep the fruit in that and then re-distill and age (or even use as is without re-distilling). Will the quality and flavor of this be similar or even better as the classical method?
chrisbo

equipment: Homemade basic still

Re: Hello from South Africa and some brandy questions

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:17 am

G`day, welcome to the forum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sorry, cant help with your questions regarding Brandy, but there are others that might be able to
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 am

Hi Chrisbo, welcome to the forum.
All i can say is " you'll only get out of it what you put into it" ;-)
that said, not many of us have been down the Brandy path, so I think a little experimentation is on the cards... just do small batches and let us know how you go mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:58 am

Welcome.Iam from the copper belt ,my advice is try both do learn about adding feints from previous batches no one here done well without putting a few batches thru ,oaking cuts stills wine type all effect the outcome ,keep good records dont change to much at once and enjoy the ride.ach mun Hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not sure what the difference would be between aged and young wine, but if it is the same wine to start with my guess would be not a great deal unless there is a massive taste difference between them to start :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:13 pm

This link has some pretty good info about distilling wine ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5422&hilit=oxidation
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby chrisbo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 am

Thanks for the advice so far. Experimentation seems to be the way to go. This will take some time. I will do my best to report back on the results as it becomes available.
chrisbo

equipment: Homemade basic still

Postby tillius » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Welcome.. I'm very much too new to give any advice, but welcome.
tillius

equipment: pot still with thumper, currently under construction

Return to Welcome Centre