Traditional Pot still versus reflux still

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Traditional Pot still versus reflux still

Postby Boilermaker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 pm

kelbygreen wrote:cuts will prob be one of the best changes you do. Also dont throw away what you dont add to your final product. You can put that into your next run in the still or save it for a all feints run. So its not wasted its just re distilled to get the good stuff out of it :D

Ok now i have another question, what do you mean when you say "all feints" ? again please forgive my ignorance 8-}
Boilermaker

equipment: Traditional Pot Still

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:34 pm

:wave: Hi Boily... 38C here in sunny Perth mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No rain for 3 months lol

Boily is an Aussie term for boilermaker or welder btw.

Welcome here mate sounds like the boys have you on the right track :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 pm

ok feints is whats not used after you make your cuts. This will be totally different for you as I run a pot still and its all very rough calculations as each run will be different. So I run normal taking collection in 350ml bottles. Then when I know I well into tails (smells like wet dog or carboard) I run straight into feints pot to save bottles (I wouldnt do this till you know your well into tails, I still collect 3 bottles after I think I am there to be sure)

Then let it air with a clean towel over the top to breath for 24-48 hrs then you follow the guide and make your cuts by smell and taste watering it down as it will give you a more definit point. The jars you see fit to add (your cuts) go into my mixing pot so I can mix it together and then dilute down to 65% for aging on oak. The other jars I put into the feints pot prob end up with half or over half my run in the feints pot this is not used to make the drinking spirit for that run.

I save this and then strip my 2 runs into the feints pot/pots with the feints still in. So I have a pot with the feints then I strip my wash into there and then after 2 runs I have about 25-30lts of striped and feints I add that back to the boiler and dilute to 40% and do a spirit run and repeat

Some people add feints to a dedicated container and when they have enough they will use just the feints and do a speacial run with that. I havnt done it as storage is a issue so I add it in my stripped runs

hope that makes sence there is a newbie section linked top of every page check it out has all the meanings and wordings whats used around here
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Boilermaker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:56 pm

kelbygreen wrote:ok feints is whats not used after you make your cuts. This will be totally different for you as I run a pot still and its all very rough calculations as each run will be different. So I run normal taking collection in 350ml bottles. Then when I know I well into tails (smells like wet dog or carboard) I run straight into feints pot to save bottles (I wouldnt do this till you know your well into tails, I still collect 3 bottles after I think I am there to be sure)

Then let it air with a clean towel over the top to breath for 24-48 hrs then you follow the guide and make your cuts by smell and taste watering it down as it will give you a more definit point. The jars you see fit to add (your cuts) go into my mixing pot so I can mix it together and then dilute down to 65% for aging on oak. The other jars I put into the feints pot prob end up with half or over half my run in the feints pot this is not used to make the drinking spirit for that run.

I save this and then strip my 2 runs into the feints pot/pots with the feints still in. So I have a pot with the feints then I strip my wash into there and then after 2 runs I have about 25-30lts of striped and feints I add that back to the boiler and dilute to 40% and do a spirit run and repeat

Some people add feints to a dedicated container and when they have enough they will use just the feints and do a speacial run with that. I havnt done it as storage is a issue so I add it in my stripped runs

hope that makes sence there is a newbie section linked top of every page check it out has all the meanings and wordings whats used around here
Urrazeb wrote::wave: Hi Boily... 38C here in sunny Perth mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No rain for 3 months lol

Boily is an Aussie term for boilermaker or welder btw.

Welcome here mate sounds like the boys have you on the right track :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hello right back at Ya :greetings-waveyellow: yes it does does these guys are going to straighten me right out, going to start warming up here in a bit like in a month or so :happy-partydance:

How many times do you wind up running your drinking spirits thru your still? i havent read up on stripping yet (i am at work, hiding) :obscene-birdiedoublered: i can see my weekend will turn into a Research weekend :-B
Boilermaker

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 pm

in a reflux still one run is enough, In a pot still for flavoured drink (whiskey and rum say) you strip it first fast and collect all that and strip as many as it takes to get another run out of it then do a spirit run slow.

read up decide what you want to run and make as thats the biggest factor to 90% the questions no point me telling you how to run a still if your going to use a reflux and I am talking about a pot still :laughing-rolling:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Boilermaker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:19 pm

kelbygreen wrote:in a reflux still one run is enough, In a pot still for flavoured drink (whiskey and rum say) you strip it first fast and collect all that and strip as many as it takes to get another run out of it then do a spirit run slow.

read up decide what you want to run and make as thats the biggest factor to 90% the questions no point me telling you how to run a still if your going to use a reflux and I am talking about a pot still :laughing-rolling:

Thank you kindly for the Information!! :D
Boilermaker

Postby Bushy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:12 am

I got nothin to say
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am