G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day

Postby Listo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:26 pm

G'day all,
I thought I'd join up to help pick up on my brewing techniques.
I've just bought a turbo 500 starter kit and am in the process of making my first batch.
Cheers guys, it looks like a great site
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Re: G'day

Postby Listo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:50 pm

I've also noticed that the turbo packs that come with the kit aren't too popular on here... That's a real shame as I bought an extra seven of them to keep me going, due to the distance to the closest brew shop from here x_x
Listo
Site Donor

G'day

Postby P3T3rPan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:54 pm

This is a great place to learn. Read enough here and you may not need to go to a brew shop ever again
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Muppet » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Gday listo. Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft: There's some real Helpfull information in the newbies corner this is a good place to start reading. I started with turbo washes but quickly changed to TPW. Best move ive made. Read up on cuts and enjoy, the guys and gals around here are always keen to help. Keep it safe and read read read. :music-deathmetal:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Yeah I bought a turbo yeast when I was starting out. But started reading and it still sitting in my fridge :laughing-rolling: Will use it when my next build is done as I have like 10 kg dextrose from brewing days will use some of that and do a cleaning run with it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

yeah you cannot read enough around here, Maybe you know some one who might want the turbos if you dont use them and they dont want to change as I have meet a few that distill that dont want to change there ways. Same with beer brewing found heaps that used kits and dextrose and was happy and didnt want to change. They taste how different AG or properly made rum taste but to stuck in there ways to change even for the better and cheaper 8-}
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:16 pm

welcome mate. enjoy your stay :obscene-drinkingchug:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Smbjk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 am

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: put the turbo's on ebay :D and start a tpw :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Listo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks guys, I might use a couple of those packs up, just for the reason that, we are new & don't know any better, so it'll probably still taste alright to us. This may sound a stupid question, but where do you guys get the yeast & citric acid from to make a TPW? If I can get it locally, I'll do one of those when I put my next two down.
We cooked our maiden batch yesterday (turbo sugar), it wasn't the best experience for a pair of ametures... We got to 1100ml & the power went out at home & I got called to work. That was at 3.30. We got power back on to my side of town at 6, so Jahna had to cook the rest off without me. We ended up with 3.1l for that lot.
Today we are cooking off our dextrose wash, hopefully with no mishaps. We'll see how the results are on that
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 am

A lot of us use Lowan's Bakers Yeast... Found with the flour etc in your supermarket. You can buy citric acid from the supermarket as well, but a squeeze of lemon juice works fine instead :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Listo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Ok... First day off call & first taste of my first brew. It's pretty shit & that's being nice. Don't get me wrong, I'll be able to drink it but it's pretty bloody harsh at 40%.
I didn't do "cuts", it all went into the same jug at 94%. Then through the ezy filter at 50% then down to 40% & left to air for 24hrs. I didn't do cuts because, to be honest, I'm still trying to understand the full process. I'm better off being shown the process or given it in deadset laymans terms, so there's still another couple of dodgy runs to go, but I'll get there.
TPW is going down tomorrow, the bloke at work told me not to as I still have a lot to learn yet before trying funny recipes... I'm doing it anyway, it can't be any worse lol
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Listo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks Zac, the missus got Fermex instant yeast, but I can get what you guys use tomorrow.
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Hey Listo,

Welcome!!

Mate, i lost my distilling cherry on the T500 and ive been exactly where you are now :D

Best piece of advice i got was not to worry if you f#*k up a run..........because you can always chuck it back in and run it again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Nothing lost and one step closer to some better booze 8-)
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Listo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Woodsy, when you say chuck it back in for another run, do you mean just pour all my spirits back into the next wash when I cook it?
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Listo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

The earlier taster I did in a small glass was a bit ordinary for us to share, but we've just tried to have a proper drink of it. I'll be buying an 1125 bottle of rum tomorrow with only disappointment instead of shame. My brew is horrible & undrinkable, it tastes like chemicals... Pretty pissed with myself right now
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Mate, rule of thumb is that when you next put your wash in the boiler, you can add the booze that didnt work out, and run it.

Because the T500 is a reflux still, it will strip the flavours out and basically leave you with another batch of neutral. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Yeah I agree with that but it was a turbo so will it spoil the next wash if its a TPW? Never done any of them so not sure. Would it be better off diluting down to say 20% or something so the element will be covered and rerun it making cuts. That way least you wont wreck a proven recipe and give up all together 8-}
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:34 am

I've never had any turbo brew that tasted anywhere near good... And cuts are a must if you want to make a good product.

Cuts aren't hard, just collect in ~300ml jars instead of one big jar. Let them air for 24 or 48 hours and smell/taste them. Start from the middle and work your way out. You'll be able to smell the good and the bad stuff straight away...

Don't be disappointed, it's all education. Get a TPW on and make some cuts and you'll be making better booze than you can buy in no time...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Listo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:20 pm

I've got all the gear to make a TPW & only one more silly question. If it's 5kg of sugar, is it still 5kg for dextrose?
Thanks
Listo
Site Donor

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Listo wrote:I've got all the gear to make a TPW & only one more silly question. If it's 5kg of sugar, is it still 5kg for dextrose?
Thanks

Indeed.

Get it on Brother :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

Postby Listo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply mate, 2 brews being started right now!
Listo
Site Donor

Next

Return to Welcome Centre