Who let the yankee in?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Who let the yankee in?

Postby RandyMarshCT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:28 am

Hello all!

I've been distilling for several years. I'm always interested in learning more and there seems to be lots of knowledge and information here. I live in the U.S. (Connecticut). I have potstills (2" & 3"), a 3" VM/LM boka, a 4" 4-plate (perf) flute, and I'm currently building a 3" offset crossflow Thor's Hammer. I usually use a 26 gallon boiler, but I have an 8-gallon and a 15.5-gallon keg boiler as well. Heat with electric (220v, 5500w, phase angle controller). I love making AG bourbon, rum, neutrals, and brandies. My favorite is Maple Brandy. I think that's about it. Thank you all very much for having me! Let me know if anyone has any questions.
RandyMarshCT

equipment: 3" potstill; 4" 4-Plate (perf) flute; 3" Boka; 3" Offset cross-flow VM/LM hybrid (under construction)

Re: Who let the yankee in?

Postby peterhobit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 am

Hello Mr Marsh, these forums sure make the world a small place. Looks like you will be sharing some real nice experience ;-) to beginners like me. Cheers from all of us here in downunder Austria ;-)
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 am

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I take it your a southpark fan? Randy is definitely the best character in that show :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bang300 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 am

You can relax Randy...none of them have bit me...yet...

dad
bang300

equipment: Condenser Controlled VM

Postby res » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Maple brandy! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Sounds amazing, would love to see your recipe. Not they we get a lot of cheap maple syrup in these parts. Welcome aboard. :greetings-waveyellow:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Geeps » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:37 pm

peterhobit wrote:Hello Mr Marsh, these forums sure make the world a small place. Looks like you will be sharing some real nice experience ;-) to beginners like me. Cheers from all of us here in downunder Austria ;-)

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I'll be back :laughing-rolling:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Smbjk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Welcome mate, maple brandy does sound good
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby RandyMarshCT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:47 pm

res wrote:Maple brandy! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Sounds amazing, would love to see your recipe. Not they we get a lot of cheap maple syrup in these parts. Welcome aboard. :greetings-waveyellow:

Sure!

This ingredient list is for 44 gallons of wash. I do 2 single runs (22 gal each) through my 4-plate column and combine all the hearts to fill a 20 liter oak barrel @ 58% abv.

8 gallons maple syrup
2 32oz jars molasses
8 lbs brown sugar
8 packets of bakers yeast
Go-Ferm Protect

I mix up half the wash at a time since I use 25 gallon fermenters.
Boil 6 gallons of water and add 4 lbs sugar, 1 jar molasses, and 4 gal syrup.
Add mixture to fermenter and top up to 22 gallons
(I top up to 20 gal and use my hydrometer to finish topping so Og = 1.075/1.080)
Make yeast starter with 4 packets yeast & Go-Ferm Protect and pitch.
Ferment 2 weeks (syrup ferments slow, like honey)
Single run through flute; recycle feints from 1st run to 2nd run
Fill barrel at 58% abv (2nd use; first use is bourbon) and wait 4 to 5 months
Proof to 42% abv and add 1 pint of maple syrup for total of 7 gallons
Bottle

I know Maple Syrup is expensive (it is here, must be even more there). I have friends in upstate Vermont (USA) that make it and they sell it to me cheap ($30/gallon... I know that doesn't sound cheap, but it is). My goal was to make a spirit I enjoyed, not to formulate an inexpensive recipe for production. I think the go-ferm protect is unnecessary as there are nutrients in the brown sugar and molasses, but when I've tried to get advice on this in the past I've mostly been ridiculed... and when I have that much money in syrup at stake I don't want to take any chances... so I go with what has worked for me in the past and throw it all in there. It's just a modified version of my rum recipe with the syrup as the primary fermentable. This stuff tastes like everything that's right with the world. Any questions, comments, or criticisms are welcome.
RandyMarshCT

equipment: 3" potstill; 4" 4-Plate (perf) flute; 3" Boka; 3" Offset cross-flow VM/LM hybrid (under construction)

Postby RandyMarshCT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

sam_and_liv, I'm a big fan.... totally agree with your best character selection. We didn't listen!

Dad, it's good to see you here! I have tons of respect for your advice and work. I think your adjustable condenser VM design is excellent!!!
RandyMarshCT

Return to Welcome Centre