The first Wash is down and running

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Postby WesternSlurper » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 am

Hi All,
Have been reading threads for a week now,waiting for my still to arrive.Well it's here and the first wash is underway,so now its just a matter of waiting and :pray: :D At this stage Im an essence man and I drink the same stuff them Jocks from Northern England drink; WHISKY .Also partial to a bit of Rum,so all augers well. Early days yet,but looking forward to being here for a few years yet. Oh btw,I do hand it out, and can take it as well :D
WesternSlurper

equipment: Air Still Spirit Distillery

Re: The first Wash is down and running

Postby BackInBlack » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:44 am

Welcome, looks like you're off to a good start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:53 am

Welcome :greetings-waveyellow: got it all goin on! What wash have you got goin?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby WesternSlurper » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Welcome :greetings-waveyellow: got it all goin on! What wash have you got goin?

G,day, its the Still Spirit 6kg production pack that came with the deal.Early days yet,but my ears are wide open to suggestions :wave: The first lot will be whisky :text-thankyoublue:
WesternSlurper

Postby WesternSlurper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:36 pm

OK Now that my first wash is nearly finished,hears the news you have ALL been waiting for.Im a Jerry-Hat-Trick old ex Army guy,known to have a drink on a hot day,OK make that any day and I used to make lashings of home brew.When the verandah completely covered the toy shop I decided it was time for a change,so I went for mainly whisky and top quality Chateau-Carton wine. :scared-eek: I really am looking forward to distilling my own hootch, so I will be in here asking all sorts of questions of you all.Thanks to those who have already helped me with advise.I will be glad when I have my first drink of my own hootch,as this Chivas regal is a little bland. :violin: Cheers
WesternSlurper

Postby WesternSlurper » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:24 am

Hi Again,
How long can I leave the wash in the fermenter (if I have to) before distilling it. :text-thankyoublue:
WesternSlurper

Postby MacStill » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 am

click :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby WesternSlurper » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

MacStill wrote:click :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Mac.Had a feeling it would be somewhere :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WesternSlurper

Postby noname4670 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:25 pm

ok mate my advice after your turbo wash is done is get over to the tried and proven section and knock out some tomato paste wash it is cheap as chips to make and tastes great once you try it you wont go back to turbo

Tim
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 pm

I have never used turbo cos my dAd does and it is crud compared to what I make from Tried & Proven recipes on here
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Dads can be set in their ways, Is yours learning anything from what you do Peterpan?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby WesternSlurper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 am

noname4670 wrote:ok mate my advice after your turbo wash is done is get over to the tried and proven section and knock out some tomato paste wash it is cheap as chips to make and tastes great once you try it you wont go back to turbo

Tim

Hi Tim,Yep only doing this Turbo,then into the TPW.Damn,I should have been doing this years ago.Looks like its a real hoot. :smile: I really love the atmosphere in this Forum.Well done to all the Head Poobars,and thanks for the warm welcome :happy-partydance: Regards Rusti
WesternSlurper

Postby tipsy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:45 am

Welcome mate.
After the TPW you should give the Weetbix one a crack.

Plenty to do around here :D
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby P3T3rPan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:16 am

SBB wrote:Dads can be set in their ways, Is yours learning anything from what you do Peterpan?

He has just run his first TPW but was disappointed with the amount he got so in his wisdom he has mucked around with the recipe by adding more sugar and tomato paste to a second wash " to get more " he said.
Doh!
He is 84 so change is difficult
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 am

If he's worried about the quantity difference between TPW and Turdbros, I wouldn't bother trying to teach him cuts!

So many people on this hobby really do look for quantity over quality. Told old mate turbo/essence fan here in town about cuts and he looked at me like I was a fuckin' idiot...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby WesternSlurper » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:If he's worried about the quantity difference between TPW and Turdbros, I wouldn't bother trying to teach him cuts!

So many people on this hobby really do look for quantity over quality. Told old mate turbo/essence fan here in town about cuts and he looked at me like I was a fuckin' idiot...

My Turbo wash will be distilled tomorrow and if its no good,I know a few arseholes I can give it to.They drink shit now so a bit more wont hurt.Mind you, I wont completely punish myself and go without.Silly I maybe,....mad Im not :laughing-rolling:
WesternSlurper

Postby WesternSlurper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Hell, has it been that long since I posted.???I now have two fermenters on the go so Im kept fairly busy with that yummy TPW :dance: Had to put up a security fence and deadbolt all the doors to keep them free loading mongrels out :laughing-rolling: Having a ball, oh and a few snorts as well. :happy-partydance:
WesternSlurper

Return to Welcome Centre