G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day

Postby toil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Thought I'd better stop lurking and introduce myself. Recently 'graduated' from beer making to spirit making. Got a pure distilling reflux still with christmas and have been on to the tomato washes. Have run 2 and third is currently fermenting. Second time around I realized what a difference cuts can make. I did 300ml cuts (probably could go down to 200?). Anyway using the neutral as a mixer mainly and the wife likes fiddling around with fruit based infusions. I would love to be able to make a reasonable triple sec. I've been inspired by this site. Already thinking I can see a pot still in my future - would like to give rum and gin a bit of a go. A chance to learn a few skills along the way by building one.
toil

equipment: 3" VM still
2" pot still
Pure distilling reflux still gathering dust

Re: G'day

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah do smaller cuts if you have the jars so you can tell the difference a bit better and save more of your good booze ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah do smaller cuts if you have the jars so you can tell the difference a bit better and save more of your good booze ;-)

:text-+1:

Once you do the same wash a few times and have the cuts down to an art you will be able to take off heads in a larger vessel and going by experience start collecting when nearing the end of heads (or just before)

I was overly happy with the whiskey and rum my little 2in pot used to make, they're a great still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby toil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks sam_and_liv. I will try 200ml cuts and just keep the good stuff. I collected 600 ml of what seemed like heads - about 1500ml at 40%. Looking forward to a high yielding feints run!
toil

2" pot still

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 pm

toil wrote:Anyway using the neutral as a mixer mainly and the wife likes fiddling around with fruit based infusions. I would love to be able to make a reasonable triple sec.

have a go of the strawberry panty dropper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
some good triple sec recipes around on the forum. orange suspension works well. i cant find empytglasses original post but:

WineGlass posted
"Take 1 litre of 40% neutral.
Add and disolve 1 to 1 1/4 cups of sugar.
Place in large jar, suspend 1 orange or 2 mandies above the surface of the sugared neutral. Don't let them contact the fluid as that can cause bitterness.
Come back in 3 months."
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby toil » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks Andy. I reckon I'll give the panty dropper a go - my mate's wife's family are strawberry farmer's. I'll have to stop eating those punnets they bring around - a shocking waste.

The triple sec will require me to display a bit more patience then usual - maybe I just need to up the workload so production exceeds consumption. I reckon the later will move up if I raise the former though.
toil

2" pot still

Return to Welcome Centre