Hi, long time reader. First run

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Postby Downsy6726 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Hey guys! from south of the river WA.

ive been reading this forum and other forums for coming on 8 months now, trying to suss out everything I could and I Finally felt confident enough to put my ethanol cleaning run through my still, hopefully it will give me a good chance to do a bit of tinkering and sort out all the things that reading cant teach me.

The rig ive got going is a 50l stainless keg, 2000W heating element with a 4ft stainless reflux column. (Pictures hopefully to follow soon once I work out this app im using).

Im sitting here waiting for my wash to reach temp, just using turbo yeast for the ethanol cleaning run as I just need to have any ethanol and alcohol run through it to wash out any leftovers from my vinegar cleaning run.

Anyway guys, glad to be a part of this community and I hope to learn a whole heap from the veterans on here :)

Downsy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Downsy6726

equipment: 50l keg with 2" s/s reflux column

Re: Hi, long time reader. First run

Postby Muppet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Great first post mate sounds like you are on the right path. Your definitly more prepared than I was :laughing-rolling:
Welcome and good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:28 pm

Welcome mate, well done doing your research :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Downsy6726 wrote:ive been reading this forum and other forums for coming on 8 months now, trying to suss out everything I could and I Finally felt confident enough to put my ethanol cleaning run through my still, hopefully it will give me a good chance to do a bit of tinkering and sort out all the things that reading cant teach me.

G'day Downsy, welcome to the forum, your time spent learning before leaping into action will give you a big head start in this hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Downsy6726 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks for the replies guys, feelz good to be welcomed to the community.

I was jist wondering, had another walk through the tried and proven recipes and I would like some input into into the difference of turbo vs TPW, I know its quantity over quality but does a price have any play in the reviews of it all?
Ive had a mates homebrew that is made with turbo and he makes real harsh cuts, where anything that is possibly heads or tails gets left out of it, and after strict filterijg and straining it tastes amazing, I would love some comparison to that with TPW.

Im all for quality over quantity, im in this game for quality, afyer all thats what got me into spirits over beers.

Please excuse the spelling mistakes as ive had a fair few ales since my cleaning run finished :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Downsy6726

equipment: 50l keg with 2" s/s reflux column

Postby Southern Boy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:57 am

Im still a newbie at best, but wanted to know the same question you asked in your last post. What I was told...

Things like turbo yeast or excessive starting gravity may produce off flavors or just plain more heads. More heads, more burn, less hearts.

I think im correct in saying that low abv washes will always produce smother likker on the end result. Quality over quantity.

As you may know, the tomato in the wash is nutrients or food for your yeast. It makes a blood red wash that looks crazy at start. If you let the wash finish, most of the reddish color will fall to the bottom with the dead and dying yeast. Rack it off the dead yeast and run it to produce a clean taste and clear as a bell finished product.
Low ABV washes will not have as much of the rubbing alcohol smells compared to washes that the yeast will die off at higher abv like turbos. I dont think anyone has problems using turbos for cleaning runs. But you will always make a better tasting product with a yeast / a wash targeted at 6 to 10 percent ABV.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks,
SB
Southern Boy

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby P3T3rPan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:29 am

And no filtering needed
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Muppet » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 am

What southern boy said is pretty much spot on. There is the cost too. Using a turbo yeast pushed to high abv is a silly way of going about things. You will get a higher yield and it will create off flavors that then need to be filtered. I see it as creating a problem that you then need to bandaid later. All at extra cost and time. I just got an extra fermenter and run once a week. 4.5l of nice drinking strength product every week or two is plenty for me. FYI theres a very experienced commercial distiller here who uses TPW for high end products. So it's not just the cost. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Return to Welcome Centre