Hello

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi all. I've just got into this hobby. I did it once before when I was younger and pulled the old still out the other day. I want to build a bigger boiler than the one I have now. I have a 50L keg ready to go.
If you were in my position tell me what you would do of you could do whatever you wanted. I want creative ideas.
Below is pictures of my still
I want to make a new coil in the condensor as well.
Thanks guys

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMERTZ

equipment: Stainless steel Pot still.

Re: Hello

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:04 am

Howdy and welcome,

It's fairly old design pictured and has a few issues, looks to be brass joiners, small off take, lower capacity.

I'd be suggesting a new all copper 2" based pot still head on one of those nice kegs... a 1 - 1.2m Leibig and you'd be well on your way with a design that's tried and tested with no issues.

Get some time on the pot learn the ins and outs and over time move to either a plated bubbler or LM depending where drink preferences are. Have a read through some build threads, see what inspires you and go from there.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 am

Ive got to agree with Bt here , I don't think you will get a lot of joy out of that still. A small pot still head on one of those kegs would probably do a better job.
There are plenty of examples spread around the forum of how to go about building a cheap pot still.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for the advice guys. How come you reckon it won't be much good?

JMERTZ

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:53 am

Before we go to far into this, could you explain a little about how it all works, What size boiler does it fit onto, or does it fit to a keg somehow?
Im presuming its some sort of pot still. I see it has a worm type condenser, but the other bit near the still head has me a bit bamboozled.
Did you build it or did someone else? More information will help us help you.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:09 pm

im just commenting so i remember to recheck this thread :P im interested to see how it works. if that middle thing is like a mini thumper that can drain any vapour that condenses earlier then the majority or something :S
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Hey guys as far as I know just a pot still. The boiler is about 20l I think and that cone shaped thing screws on top. The vapours go up that to the top and out an outlet which then goes directly into the horizontal cylinder. Which I believe acts like and over flow. Then it just goes through the coil condensor and out the bottom.
That's basically it. I want to just replace the boiler with the keg and make a new condensor. Well that was my original idea but I'm always up for ideas.
And SBB a friend built it and left it for dad. I didn't build.

JMERTZ

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 pm

I'd be leaving your old still tucked away...

Build a nice fat pot still for that 80L keg, and use that little keg for aging...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm

J,

Guess we're in the boat of having to be comfortable with what recommend. There's nothing saying the existing won't work at all, but we need to use a little caution on what we suggest.
A nice pot won't cost a fortune and the results are well known, safe and we can assist. It also give you a reliable result, won't take a whole day to run ( concern with current) has no material safety risks so you can have a drink in confidence.

I'd recommend the pot option again

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:27 pm

I think maybe that bit near the still head is a sort of slobber box in case it pukes :think:
I don't want to sound negative but,here are the problems as I see them, Firstly you have to find a way to fit that still head to the keg, The thermometer will be of little to no use so it might as well go at the same time. Using temperature as a guide when running a pot still isn't successful in most peoples opinion. The diameter of the line going to the condenser seems a bit on the small side to me, it could be prone to blocking if the still puked enough of the wrong stuff, this in turn leads to pressure build up, not something you want in any still.
If you were to put it all onto a keg that condenser probably wont cope at the very least it would need to be in a bigger container of water, or you would be changing the water all the time to keep it cool.
For the work involved , and time spent changing everything around you could build a good 2inch or bigger pot still that would out preform what you already have.

If you do decide to build from scratch here is a good place to start.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=76
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm

http://wiki.homedistiller.org/Slobber_Box
i like the idea of a slobber box!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Have to agree with the others...build a new pot head for your keg that can handle the amount of vapour it is caplable of putti g out with good element in it.
I think your old still looks perfect for doing small experimental batches

Edit: nah just done a flip flop here....I that worm is 3/4" like it looks like compared to the garden hose then I tbink it probably will handle up to a 3600 w element quite well......Sure you will have to make an adapter for the keg and watch the flake stand water level ut I can't see why it shouldn't work.
Last edited by Yummyrum on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 pm

SBB. that's exactly what it is. :)
And don't worry about sounding negative mate I asked for opinions. Your delivering. Much appreciated.
I was just going to cut the thread off the existing boiler and weld to the keg. And yer I agree i thought the lines were pretty small. And I had water running through constantly with a pump and an esky for a reservoir to help with the cooling. Condenser coil is abut old and dodgy anyway so I would have replaced.
But all that aside I think I would be better off starting from scratch.
At least I'll be able to say I have two stills!
I hope you are all ready for a build thread in the very near future.

So if you were starting out with that stubby keg pictured what would you do

JMERTZ

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Keep the stubby keg aside for ageing... I assume it's 30ish litres?

Use the bigger keg for a boiler.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Also I consider myself pretty handy on the tools. ( not to sound like a tosser) and the old boy is a boily. So technical and flashy suggestions are welcome haha

JMERTZ

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Well in that case...you have to make a new still...the corny begs to be a thumper.
You make two heads....just because you can .Ones just a normal stripper and the other uses the thumper..

Then you make lots of Rum and send it to me :-D

Then you could build a packed column to sit on the thumper and make vodka
Yummyrum

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:29 pm

As yummy has said , Id hang onto that little one as is, it could be handy one day if you wanted to do small batches of ouzo or possibly gin. Or experiment with small washes. While it isn't perfect it might be usable in that regard.
Zac's right , if you use the smaller keg you will probably regret it in the future, bigger still charges make it easier to make good cuts, and in the long run will be a time saver. Bigger runs done less often can and will save time.
Have a look through the pot still section, you should find other members builds there which will give you a lot of ideas. One thing I would recommend is using a stainless union were you attach the condenser, This will allow you to adjust the output height and condenser angle, both of these adjustments are very useful at times. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Yer good thinking guys.
But I think the picture is a bit deceiving as both the kegs have roughly the same volume. I have had a quick look in the pot still section and have found a couple of good ideas and one I really like. So time to get planning.

JMERTZ

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:00 pm

If they are the same capacity Id use the short fat one, it looks like it might already have a flange on it that should fit straight to either an "easy flange" or a bought triclamp type flange.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm

SBB wrote:...........one thing I would recommend is using a stainless union were you attach the condenser, This will allow you to adjust the output height and condenser angle, both of these adjustments are very useful at times. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Amen to that SBB...thats the one thing that pisses me off about my pot still is having to shag around with bricks and things to get the end at the rigjt height each time...I will be modifying soon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Next

Return to Welcome Centre